• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danner Mag reliability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daetalix

Registered
Those of you with Danner mag pumps... hows the reliability? I been lookin at the Danner Mag 3 and 5. I haven't seen much about the 5... anyone have it? Also I read somewhere in this forum there was a part that consistently leaked on it. Easily fixed with some silicon?

If these Danner pumps are reliable, then i won't shell out the extra cash for an Eheim 1250. ($70.. yeesh!)

I have heard that they are very reliable and are a bout as tough as a rock. If you dont want to shell out the extra cash for the Eheim, I would say that the Hydor or the Danner pumps are the next best bet.

The leaking issue may have been fixed, but that only consisted of bolstering the o-ring's capability with a dab of silicone.
When the nose fitting (intake) side of the pump was pushed sideways by a heavy/stiff waterline, or a reservior was hung from it, the end housing tended to warp a bit and leak. Operator error.
It's also possible (as with any plastic pump) to screw in the hose fittings too tightly and crack the plastic of the pump. Use silicone and hands only, and that will be avoided.

My Danner model 2 has been abused (er...running) for over 3 years now, and I'd buy another.

I'd buy the Danner over an Eheim even if they cost the same. Mine's only been running for a couple of weeks, but it's quiet and has zero leaks.

Back