• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smart Fan II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robrules18

i am going to be getting a new smart fan 2 for my SK-7 but since it is my only variable speed fan is there anything that doesnt take up a 5.25 bay and is a little bigger than the potentiometer that it comes with? od buy a rheostat for 3.25 bays but i only have one variable fan so it seems like a waste.

You may want to took around for someone that bought the volcano 11 or 11+. These came with sfII along with several pmeters, one goes in one of the card slots (prob what you want).

It Only goes to full speed at 55°.. kinda pointless i think unless you don't overclock.

i heard the thermal probe doesnt work and that the manual says to mount it on the die which you cant do ... where do u mount yours?

You can put any type of fan on a rheostat. It doesn't have to be variable.

-Bobby

Robrules18 said:
i heard the thermal probe doesnt work and that the manual says to mount it on the die which you cant do ... where do u mount yours?

you can mount it on the die... it came with some tape. Now if you don't want to do that, you can put it as close to the bottom of the heatsink as possible (on the base, not actually underneath it.)

No, you can't mount it on the die - the thickness of the probe would force the heatsink out of contact with the die.

I installed a Spark 7 once, which comes with a SF2, and I mounted the thermal probe on the underside of the heatsink. The heatsink overhangs the processor, and I taped the probe as close to the socket as I could get.

it shouldn't... many people do this... the wires on mine are reaallly thin.

EDIT:OHHH wait, you don't put it on top of the die, you put it underneath it with some tape... thats what i meant....

The wires to the probe are thin - the probe itself is slightly thicker if I remember correctly. It's definitely thicker than the 0.05mm of TIM that should be the only thing between the heatsink and the processor.

Putting it underneath the die sounds like a good idea.

im waitng for the silver rheostat for the 3.5 slot at pcmods.com to come in stock. and thanks for all the help.

Back