• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling risk inquiry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkJediSleikas

The perception of the risk of water cooling seems to vary widely from person to person. Some people shudder at the thought of mixing water with their computer, while others think its an efficient, quiet way to cool a computer. I thought that a good way to find out the truth about the risk of water cooling would be to ask people who have already done it. Perhaps this should be made into a poll?

For those of you who do or did watercool your PC, which category do you best fit into?

1. I have never had any leaks or come close to damaging anything as a result of water cooling.

2. My water cooling setup did leak, but it did not cause any damage to my computer.

3. My water cooling setup leaked and damaged one computer part.

4. My water cooling setup has leaked and has damaged more than one computer part.

I would have to vote for 3. I am still a n00b when it comes to all of this and the leak was my fault...so as long as you are careful, you will be ok. Dont do what I did. ;)

2. My system only leaked coz of a dodgy homemade waterblock gone wrong. It was only on filling it though, I was smart enough not to turn it on. It's been going 12 months with no other problems.

2 x 20 or so :D

I must be one of the luckiest folks alive, but Ive had leakage on many components and never fried a one.

The list:

First attempt ever (Bad hose barbs). Water ALL OVER mobo- spewing everywhere.

Second attempt. Slow leak, despite addition of barbs, a little water on mobo.

Thrird attempt. Added silicone, still a little leak, more water on mobo...

months later...

massive condensation- block of ice on gpu block :eek:. Both the vid card and sound card covered in water (antifreeze). The computer went nuts and refused to boot. Dried everything out and all good now.

Im running pretty heavy duty insulation now, so havnt had problems (knock on wood)

1 and 2
My homemade res did leak until the sealent set correctly, didn't leaveit to dry long eneough. When i say leak it was a very slow dibble and as res and rad are in rad box there was zero damage to anything.

As long as you test alll of your components before they go in the computer the only prob should be down to user error

I've been water cooling for 36 hours now and I'd say that I am a 1....

....although during set up and testing I had a few leaks due to my clamps were not tight enough around one barb on the water block and on barb on the heater core (only had leaks with brass barbs...all the plastic ones were fine.

My thread about my setup and thank is under the topic of Water Cooling and the "Moving Man" Part 2.....

1 for me. I take extra care with my watercooling. I have metal clamps on every conection and the only water i hve going inside my case is the waterblock. There will be no leaks here.

I have never had W/C destroy my PC.

All my leaks have happened because of user error, and were discovered during a leaktesting period.

In most cases the hose clamps I used were not tightened enough. In other cases, it's faulter reservoir sealings (my own fault).

My last setup wouldn't stop condensating, so I stopped for awhile. (I'll be back one day) When I saw the metal hose clamp condensating and dripping on my video card that was it. But the video card was fine after an alcohol bath. It gets tricky when your water gets in the negitive temps. At least it has been for me.

2. The impeller of my pump leaked for a couple weeks, dripping down to the bottom of my case, and harming nothing but temps.

#2, seeing as not tightening one of my hose clips caused a lake to appear over my precious Ti4200. Luckily, the system wasn't on so I dried it all up, tightened the clips and everything booted up nicely.

Back in November, my abomination of a waterblock killed a (t)rusty 1400 Thunderbird, which was a shame...

#2 - I may have a slow leak on my radiator where I added a barb. Some pooling on the bottom of the case, otherwise no issues. Haven't lost any parts yet (knocks on wood)

Back