• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who makes the best chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Hey, I was just wandering who makes the best chipset at the time? I know VIA is good, but I think that the nForce series is better at the time. I don't know where AMD chipsets stand, and I don't know if there are any other AMD chipset makers out there. I Just want some opinions since I have only used VIA chipsets before. Thanks!

right now nvidia has the crown. VIA has the kt600 coming out and abit has a kt600 board out but it's not really out in the wild yet, haven't heard much of it.

Sis also makes chipsets for amd but they're not so great.

I heard sometime a while back AMD was leaving chipset development up to 3rd party companies. nForce is definetly the best out there, VIA is next, and SiS hasn't been seen in a while in the AMD area recently, the last chipset from them (that I remember) was the chipset that allowed for SD and DDR RAM. Via's been slow on improving thier chipsets. KT333 was pretty good, but KT400 didn't offer much more of an advantage since they didn't have a PCI/AGP lock or 1/6 divider which I think crippled the chipset and made it just an expensive KT333

But as of now it's for sure the nForce2 chipset I don't think you'll find anyone to disagree with that at this point in time.

I like the k7s5a uses Sis chipset... my 1st AMD mobo... and both my bros and my mom have it. I use it to build budget computers. But they work quite well and are dirt cheap.

yeah Sis has been pretty absent lately.

Nvidia Nforce2 currently owns the performance crown. We will have to wait and see how well the production KT600 boards perform. SiS makes a good stable and economical chipset for AMD that works well for business desktop use.

I don't like nvidia chipsets as of now. I have bought 5 nforce 2 motherboards and all 5 had something wrong with them. It was really ridiculous, i have 3 kt400's that are running correct. I must have a curse on me or something, everyone else likes nforce chipsets. Oh well its just my opinion ;)

i'd say nvidia makes the best chipset (nforce2), especially when the overclocking ability and soundstorm are taken into consideration

I would have to agree with members who posted above, right now Nvidia def. makes the best chipset. The nforce2 is superior in performance to any of the VIA or SIS chipsets currently available.

Just make sure to stay away from any version 1.xx Nforce2 Motherboards, such as the Abit NF7 v1.0, 1.1, and 1.2, as these boards had various issues, most notably bios corruption, however, you won't find very many of these on the market now, as they are older. Try to purchase a board that uses the Nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset, essentially the same thing as the regular Nforce2, but with official DDR 400 support and no bios corruption.

Aslan said:
Just make sure to stay away from any version 1.xx Nforce2 Motherboards, such as the Abit NF7 v1.0, 1.1, and 1.2, as these boards had various issues, most notably bios corruption, however, you won't find very many of these on the market now, as they are older. Try to purchase a board that uses the Nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset, essentially the same thing as the regular Nforce2, but with official DDR 400 support and no bios corruption.

The ultra also has dual channel DDR right?

soundfx4 said:

The ultra also has dual channel DDR right?

If it doesn't say "ultra" it is a single chanelled version. I haven't heard of any boards with it, yet. But if you see a non ultra 400 your better off finacially to get a kt600, there is under a 4% performance difference. In dual channel the performance advantage rises to 6-15%

I’ve used the SIS chipset in a ECS board, Used the via chipset in my last DFI mobo and now I use the NFORCE2 in my MSI board.

It totally womps on the both in overall system speed improvement.

Good choice with the NFORCE2 Chipset.

7keys said:
Intel makes the best chip set IMHO but unfortunately don’t make them for AMD CPU’s.

And they make those cool datasheets for you to mod your own mb with.

Back