• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What heater core to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
I would like to know what the best copper heater core is for a single 120mm fan and shroud. I need the make and year of the vehicle so I can order it from NAPA. I would also like to get a large heater core that would take two 120 inch fans something at least 10.5 inches long with copper tubing. What should I get? :)

Do you have a link for what the part number is for the dual core version from Auto Zone? I found one but it doesn't give dimensions or anything.

I just went with the dtek procore, because I didn't feel like sweating fittings onto an autozone one. but then I find out. depending on which year chevette you get, you can just slip the tubing right over the inlet, and outlet. oh well, I love my procore :)

I just don't know what to get. Will a single fan heater core sufficiently cool a 2500+ that is overclocked? I want the core to be able to get rid of at least 200W of heat so I can expand it to the next phase of my project (6 months or more).

Also, what is different about buying a heater core verses just buying the supposedly optimized version from Danger Den or something like that?

Also, what is different about buying a heater core verses just buying the supposedly optimized version from Danger Den or something like that?
$$$ is the difference and to some extent performance. They want $55, for something you can get for $16.00 LOL

I just wanted to verify that there is really nothing special with the Danger Den type rads. I would much rather buy something else, but if it works the same then more $$ in my pocket is better for me :)

PerpetualBliss said:
I would like to know what the best copper heater core is for a single 120mm fan and shroud. I need the make and year of the vehicle so I can order it from NAPA. I would also like to get a large heater core that would take two 120 inch fans something at least 10.5 inches long with copper tubing. What should I get? :)

For the dual-fan version, I was happy with this from AdvancedAuto for $16.88. I liked it well enough that I got two and am running them in parallel in an external rig.

http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...=SEARCHRESULTS&MfrCode=FEC&MfrPartNumber=2198

I just cut off the fittings with a dremmel and added my own. Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
yeah I have seen some of those before, I am just concerned about modifying those hose barbs for my purposes. I have no skill or experience with copper soldering or sweating or whatever it is called. I just don't want to have a catastrophic failure because I wanted to save $10...

I got the AutoZone 16.99 Chevette core and I was able to stretch my ClearFlex60 1/2"ID tubing over both stock pipes without modifying them in any way. It takes some patience and effort, but it is doable.

hrm... I am really thinking about that one, but I don't know if I want it that big. I still have some pondering to do

Posidon42 said:
yeah I have seen some of those before, I am just concerned about modifying those hose barbs for my purposes. I have no skill or experience with copper soldering or sweating or whatever it is called. I just don't want to have a catastrophic failure because I wanted to save $10...

Its really not as hard as you think. You dont have to know anything really to do it, get some jbweld (epoxy that is hard as steel) and epoxy two barbs on the core and your done. Takes about 2 minutes and youve saved yourself some cash ;)

Back