• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiply cooling fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
did you know you could connect them straight to the power supply? you just have to have a fan with the right connector.

It seems as if you have a lack of molex connectors or motherboard headers? Do tell (Please Give us more info)!

This is what a normal Molex connector that comes from your PowerSupply will look like. I know for a fact that Antec fans use the 12v Molex (same thing as above) and you can plug them in direct, which you can't really mess up.

And This is what a fan header from your motherboard looks like (minus the wires plugged in, that is..) Many Panaflo fans use these types of connections, which supplies power to your fan of choice.

You can stick them in 3 ways..
1 is with a 3 pin connector on the motherboard
2 is with a 4 pin connector to your power supply
3 is stick the red wire of the fan in the yellow wire of one of the 4 pin molex connetors and the black wire of the fan in a black wire of a molex connector. There are other ways like this if you want to run your fan out of spec.

My computer has a MSI Motherboard, Amd Anthlon Xp 2000+ (1.66ghz) oc to 2ghz, a geforce 2 video card, volcano 9 cpu fan

And yes i want to know how to run the fans out of specs

Here are the easy ones.
Red fan + Yellow psu & Black fan + Red psu = 7v
Red fan + Red psu & Black fan + Black psu = 5v

Step 1: Buy a fan.
Find a fan from here and purchase it to be delievered to your home. The link is to 80mm Fans, the fans that are generally used on most cases. Also, you could look around your local electronics store and purchase a fan from there.

Step 2: Plug it In
Your "MSI Motherboard" should have fan headers for connecting multiple fans (however don't uplug that Volcano 9 fan). The fan connector won't fit? No worries, plug it into a molex connector that is coming from your power supply.

Step 3: Mount It
Many cases use purple plastic fan mounts that can hold your fan securely without screws. If you have these, simply slide it on in there (the side with the plastic supports for the fan motor is the side that will be pushing air out). Your fan should come with self tapping screws. If not, try to find a nut and bolt that could also mount the fan to the back of the case (or anywhere else the case may have a fan 'port').

Step 4: Admire your work
I like to sip on some tea as I watch my fans spin. Maybe thats a little retarded, but hey - I get a kick out of it :rolleyes:

Step 5: Getting angry with a fan that is too loud
Too loud for your taste? You have a couple options to undervolt that fan
A) Purchase a rheobus(fan controller) (or make your own, search for schematics on Google) These will make the fan spin slower, in turn lowering the noise made.
B) 5v or 7v Mod your Fan
Here's the 7v Mod, in convenient paint format!
molex.jpg

And its 5v Mod Counterpart...
Linky Dinky

And I also hope to god this isn't some lame attempt to boost your postings - If you made that computer in your specs and do not know how to 'add fans'... duh. Well, I'll leave it at that.

Actually i have 2 other fans running in my case. 1 to intake air and 1 to cool the ram. Those are the 2 i wanted to make go faster

And the things u suggested didn't increase the fan speed

Last edited:
Back