• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Closed line systems VS. reservoir systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
What is best a closed line system or a reservoir system.

Does a closed line have more flow and pressure. is a T line system considered a closed line?

In performance terms systems using a reservoir keep your temps lower, but closed line systems are alot more convenient because of their smaller size. I believe a T line system is considered closed.

does the size of the RES have an impact on the pump. could you have a super large RES so the water has more time to cool. Or will adding more water to the system affect the pumps performance?

alpha_gamer said:
In performance terms systems using a reservoir keep your temps lower, but closed line systems are alot more convenient because of their smaller size. I believe a T line system is considered closed.

how does having a reservoir keep ur temps lower??? if u want to say that there is more water for the temp to spread around u can use the argument that T-line doesnt obstruct the flow of water as much as a resvoir.

A reservoir will not lower temps unless you use a *very* large one that can rely on giving off heat through it's walls. An open reservoir is a different thing, and can use evaporation as a means of transferring heat to the air.

So in essence, if the choice is between two closed loop systems, and one of these has a small reservoir somewhere, then I'd summarize the pro's and con's like this:

- res may mean an additional bend, thus lower flowrate
- res takes up space
+ res holds extra water that can act as a buffer (temps fluctuate more slowly). Note that this is only a change gradient difference, not a difference in the settled temps.
+ res may make filling and bleeding easier (to teh n0obs ;) )

Back