• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Big Res vs. Small Res

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gbcue

Registered
Does a bigger res like a Bay-Res effect flow rate. I am thinking of my setup and I would like a small res, like the DD res. Will a bigger res cool water faster or have any benefit?

usually a rez is just to hold water and make filling easy. the bay rez is what i'd call a small rez and so is the DD rez. now a big rez like something BladeRunner did, a big tank he buried underground will have benefit. he doesnt need a radiator cuz its so big and underground. the other benefit is from what i've heard it makes bleeding easier. i use a T-Line and never used a rez so i dont know how much easier.

The main advantage a larger reservoir has over a smaller one is that it allows for there to be a greater amount of water in your water cooling loop. With more water in the loop, it takes longer for the water to heat up when your system is under load. In reality, this doesn't really have any major advantage, so if going with a smaller res. is more convenient for you, go with a smaller one.

Like tio said the more water the harder it is to heat up. But if your looking at 2 different rez's that only have a few litre's of cappacity difference then the cooling efect will be very little if noticable at all. Buy/build which ever rez fits your requirments best

Back