• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MooMasster716

Ok im building my first amd system for a sollage student whos not gonna play any games, and ive never bought a heatsink in my life and i have a $500 budget. Does anyone have any recomandations fora heatsink under $20 im not gonna overclock and theres to much out there and im kinda confused to.

If you're not going to overclock, you could just use a stock AMD heatsink. Other than that, by far the best value, and one the best heatsinks out there, is the Thermalright SK-7. Pair it up with any 80mm fan, and you'd have very nice, cost-effective cooling.

DOH, i forgot about them:bang head but then i only heard of them since yesterday heh, sorry, yea those are nice, but if you aren't going to oc or anything, i don't see anything wrong with stock heatsinks...

So when i get these parts in, i position the fan blowing air away from the heatsink right? sorry but this is my first custum system.

Usually, Heatsink fans will be positioned to blow ON the heatsink. It usually works better this way. On an Alpha cooler (which is 40 dollars, so you probably won't get it) they perform better when the fan is 'sucking' air off the Heatsink.

I would reccomend going with the Stock AMD heatsink - It's quiet and efficient for stock cooling (well, efficient maybe not, but thats up for debate when overclocking :))

its a little usually copper piece that fits on the cpu, in the amd section there is a thread about cracked dies that don't work anymore. If i had and amd i would defninietly get one

I've installed well over 100 amd processors and never used a shim and never cracked a core (knocks on wood) If I were building a system for the first time I would be more concerned about trashing a mobo by installing the heatsink with a screwdrive. I'd just use the stock amd heatsink, that way you don'y have to worry about applying any thermal paste or anything.

stan03 said:
its a little usually copper piece that fits on the cpu, in the amd section there is a thread about cracked dies that don't work anymore. If i had and amd i would defninietly get one
can any one link me to this thred cause the searh dosent work for me literaly is dosent go through

Make sure if you HAVE to use a shim, get a NON-CONDUCTIVE one... It'll make your life a lot simpler and will prevent the chip shorting out on you.

Back