• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do you like your copper top maze 4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaceRangerJoe

im setting up my water chiller now, and im still not 100% set on the cpu block im going to use. ive been leaning towards the copper topped maze 4, with 1/2 inch barbs. looks dont matter that much, cause the whole thing is going to be insulated anyway. it must be a metal top, preferably copper. no plastics of any kind (poly, lucite, whatever). if anyone has a better idea of what block to use, id be happy to hear it, thanks.

SpaceRangerJoe said:
....been leaning towards the copper topped maze 4, with 1/2 inch barbs. looks dont matter that much...

...it must be a metal top, preferably copper. no plastics of any kind (poly, lucite, whatever). if anyone has a better idea of what block to use, id be happy to hear it, thanks.
very good..

you're going in the right direction. the objective is to have as much metal as possible. Looks like you've been researching a lot(also you have mentioned about it before).

yes.. full metal maze4 is ok. d-tek tc4 full metal is good. swiftech mcw5000a is good in performance, but the mount mechanism sucks ***.

is there an all copper white water (not alluminum top)? since everyone seems to like the performance, i think i should at least consider it. i just still dont really like the idea of mixing metals any more than i need to. im looking to make this a long term solution (read: if i dont have to take this block off for another year+, peachy). i think i might be dwelling on that particular issue a little to much, but i guess you cant be to careful. and since i am doing the assembly and purchasing all myself (the way it should be), if i can prevent a future problem, all the better.

any more thoughts?

I wouldn't worry too much about mixed metals. you'll find almost all waterblocks with metal tops are aluminum and copper base. You can't get away with it, unless they will have one, or custom made ones. I don't know about the white water blocks from cathar if they are all copper or what.

the whitewater does have an aluminum top but from what i hear it is treated and set up in such a way that very little aluminum comes in contact with the water and the that the aluminum is treated so that it doesnt matter anyway.

Kunaak said:
the DDM4 has a copper top, with a lucite top over it for mounting.
hmm.... are you sure? Copper top and Lucite top over the copper top of maze4? I haven't heard that before... i can double check but... i don't.... think.....

m4b1.jpg
m4b2.jpg

Danger Den Maze4 AMD water block with a Lucite top, 1/2" brass fittings and an installation kit according to the source.

EDIT: You are right. I see they do have copper top available. and as you say, lucite over the copper top.

m4copper_sm.jpg

Update: The original Cathar's WhiteWater blocks come in full copper, copper tops. The d-tek version of WW blocks come in aluminum tops.

Last edited:
the review i saw (an old one from overclockers.com) had cathars whitewater. i saw the all copper on that, and i like it. i figure the aluminum topped one is just anodized or something.

dangerden does have an option for a copper top on the maze 4, thats what i was planning on going with, with the 1/2 inch chrome (its shiny and pretty :D) barbs . i dont like that lucite cover for maze 4, but i dont want to make my own hold down, so i guess it will do. think theres anywhere that i can find one of the older all copper ones (since it looks like it out performs the maze 4)?

gbcue said:
Is the lucite version of the Maze4 good enough?

I don't want this happening to my computer.

as was said above, i do not want the lucite top. i want the copper top. more metal for thermal transfer, and i dont know how well the lucite is going to like sub zerp (hopefully) coolant temps. i just feel a lot safer with a copper top. the lucite hold down is more than enough plastic for me.

hmm....the more i think about this, the more i want to just make a metal hold down. is that just a waste of time? somebody please say yes :D.

Back