• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best way to cool RAM??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ur best bet is good airflow throughout the case with a copper heatspreader. the active doesnt do much, ive had it, and the fan is annoying.

cooling isnt a big issue with ram beyond your basic heat spreader... you more than likely wont get a big fsb gain off adding active cooling or bigger heat sinks... if you already have good airflow and heat spreaders or the like installed thats about all you can do short of buying different ram or upping your voltage

I have only bare RAM nothing on it. The ventilation is not so good in my case. Those cables are killing the air circulation. But i hope that i will buy a few of those rounded cables.

You won't get a higher overclock by cooling your ram unless you up the voltage with it to the point where you need the cooling for the ram to live. You can probably max your Vdimm without adding any extra cooling though.

Feel your chips; are they hot. Not just warm, but hot as in I can't hold my finger on them?

If they are, then some heatspreaders would be good, if not, then don't worry about it.

The chips are HOT. So i think that some cooling will help. But what will yeld better results heat spreaders or that Active Cooling Kit from TT????

Copper heat spreaders and good airflow, as they mentioned it! Not only will you have better cooling on your RAM, but you will have better cooling for your processor too, which will allow you to go higher in FSB. RAM doesn't limit the FSB as much as the CPU does when it comes to heat unless you're adding a lot of voltage.

Try this: take a spare 80mm fan and suspend it inside the case a few inches away from the ram; make sure it is blowing ONTO the memory.

Most effective ram cooling method I have seen.....;)
I ran bare pc2100 at 180mhz with 3.5volts that way :)

So my options are:

-to use a heatspreader
or
-to use a fan that is blowing directly on the RAM

Need to sleep it over to decide which way to go!!! Or i could just add the head spreader and the fan.

thanx for helping

if you are worried about the fan being ugly, you can always use an LED fan ;)

good luck

1) Copper Heatspreaders, or small copper heatsinks on each chip
2) A zip-tied fan hovering above the RAM blowing down on it.

rogerdugans said:
Try this: take a spare 80mm fan and suspend it inside the case a few inches away from the ram; make sure it is blowing ONTO the memory.

Most effective ram cooling method I have seen.....;)
I ran bare pc2100 at 180mhz with 3.5volts that way :)

3.5volts?

jesus, might as well pelt it.

If you are going to have active cooling blowing directly on the ram then i wouldnt get heatspreaders. They spread the heat between the chips so certain ones don't get extra hot from dead spots in your airflow. If you have a fan blowing right on your ram then no heatspreaders might even be better.

Back