• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling Graphics Ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nico3k

Hello. I have been playing around with my gf3 ti500 more lately... and i came to the conclusion that i get a more stable overclock out of cooling the graphics card's ram than i do cooling the GPU.
when i run my card 240/515@260/600, my GPU does get quite hot and i do have a waterblock on it, but i get alot of artifacts and pixels in random places when playing games. when i put a fan right by the memory, the artfiacts go away... and i am able to raise the memory speed to around 615mhz without artifacts or crashes. i am sure you all agree that the real noticable overclocks come out of the memory speed rather than the core speed.

anyways... does anyone know where i can get a waterblock for the ram? i really think that it will help alot.

thanks,
nico3k

Nico3k said:
Hello. I have been playing around with my gf3 ti500 more lately... and i came to the conclusion that i get a more stable overclock out of cooling the graphics card's ram than i do cooling the GPU.

that depends on how the user overclocks the card.

when i run my card 240/515@260/600, my GPU does get quite hot and i do have a waterblock on it, but i get alot of artifacts and pixels in random places when playing games. when i put a fan right by the memory, the artfiacts go away... and i am able to raise the memory speed to around 615mhz without artifacts or crashes.

that's because you didn't push your core enough and pushed higher on the memory instead. Push the core higher and you will find that cooling the GPU is important.

i am sure you all agree that the real noticable overclocks come out of the memory speed rather than the core speed.

yes, you are about 75% correct.

You will get some more benefits in terms of performance by overclocking your memory on the Ti500 than the Ti200. On the other hand, Ti200 benefits pretty well by overclocking the GPU core.

You still need enough/sufficient amount of overclock on the Ti500's GPU core, to get overal great balance in performance. Push both core and memory higher for your card. I had my Ti200's core as high as 297mhz core for 3dmark and achieved the world-record score in all Ti200s benchmark ever found in this planet.

anyways... does anyone know where i can get a waterblock for the ram? i really think that it will help alot.

i don't have any good information on providing that, but i've seen some waterblock that covers all ram chips on the rad9700, or may need custom made. You be sure to chill that water. Warm water will give you a nice warm temp for your memory and will be seeing nice amount of graphical artifacts. :D

thanks for clearing thouse things up. i am working on raising the core right now.
i have seen thouse waterblocks for radeons that cover both gpu and ram, just never stand-alone blocks for gfx card memory.

thanks alot

ps: thats an amazing 3dmark score!!!!!

---edit---
how do/did you cool the ram on your card? just ramsinks with good case airflow? or do you have something special?

Nico3k said:
thanks for clearing thouse things up. i am working on raising the core right now.
i have seen thouse waterblocks for radeons that cover both gpu and ram, just never stand-alone blocks for gfx card memory.

thanks alot

ps: thats an amazing 3dmark score!!!!!

---edit---
how do/did you cool the ram on your card? just ramsinks with good case airflow? or do you have something special?
hey no prob..

thanks.. yes, my Ti200's core is waterchilled temp@ below 0C + 80watt peltier. my memory is not watercooled nor any heatsink is attached, just a fan blowing toward the ram chips. ram speed at 570 tops.

i was the first place several months ago, and still am 1st place. :D

Back