• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow rate vs Pressure?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X0d1@k

Okay, when i look at a pumps estimated feet vs. gph is that for the entire loop? Let me clarify, if i have my chiller OUTSIDE my comp, lets say 2 feet below the comp, and have lets say 3 feet of hose leaving my pump> to CPU> to GPU> NB> and returning back to the pumps giving an extra foot inside the case for the 3 waterblocks. Would that be a 3 feet total, OR the entire loop is measured when you are considering pressure? Ill link a flowchart i found from Via Aqua. Im using the VA 306, i just want to know if i will have sufficient flow with a pair of them. Also the pumps will be right outside of my chilled res. This is a flow chart as an example http://www.wcaquatics.com/cgi-bin/items/rio_water_flow_charts.html Thanks in advance i hope i didnt confuse!!

If it is a closed system, the vertical distance doesn't matter. The water "falls" for the same distance that the pump pushes it up.

The head of the pump is directly related to the pressure it can create.

I wouldn't bother with two via aquas. One Danner Mag 3 ($40-$45ish) would work better. It has a max head of 10'. :)

Thanks!! SO the distance up is all that really matters, not the entire length of the closed loop right? Thanks again!

X0d1@k said:
Thanks!! SO the distance up is all that really matters, not the entire length of the closed loop right? Thanks again!
NO. The lift of the tubing does not matter!

The pump curve gives the head vs. discharge (flow rate) relationship. The head is a combination of the static head (elevation) and the dynamic head (frictional losses). In your case, you are really only concerned with the dynamic head.

Thanks. Sorry if i seem to ask stupid questions as i am still new to this whole watercooling/chilling stuff. Thanks for the info guys!!:beer:

Back