• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my NF7-S sound is messing up...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
I get short little repeated beeps when I'm playing a game, or running 3dmark.

What could be causing this?

Why do I sometimes hear crackling noises coming from my speakers?

Most of the time this is caused my IRQ conflictions. Make sure that you have the latest sound drivers which can be obtained from Windows Update and make sure that you have the latest nForce drivers which can be found here. Another cause may be because of interference from the other jacks. You can fix this by going into your nForce Control Panel and muting the line-in, mic, aux, and other jacks that you are not using. The most common fix is to mute the line-in. Also, you can try to change the "Sample Rate Conversion Quality" in the Playback/Advanced/Performance part of the nForce Control Panel. Or you can go into the BIOS and set the PCI latency to 128. The PCI latency was an old trick used on boards with Via chipsets.

http://www.eddiescomputerworld.com/epox/audio.php

Mito said:

Most of the time this is caused my IRQ conflictions. Make sure that you have the latest sound drivers which can be obtained from Windows Update and make sure that you have the latest nForce drivers which can be found here. Another cause may be because of interference from the other jacks. You can fix this by going into your nForce Control Panel and muting the line-in, mic, aux, and other jacks that you are not using. The most common fix is to mute the line-in. Also, you can try to change the "Sample Rate Conversion Quality" in the Playback/Advanced/Performance part of the nForce Control Panel. Or you can go into the BIOS and set the PCI latency to 128. The PCI latency was an old trick used on boards with Via chipsets.

http://www.eddiescomputerworld.com/epox/audio.php

Sounds like the same info I just go turned onto from here , almost verbatim.

BTW...these tips worked great for me...no more audio problems in UT2003. :D

I think some nforce2 boards have problems with the southbridge overheating. I had the crackle problem with my NF7-S, especially with EAX games (Ravenshield), and adding a heatsink to the southbridge solved the problem.

kct2 said:
I think some nforce2 boards have problems with the southbridge overheating. I had the crackle problem with my NF7-S, especially with EAX games (Ravenshield), and adding a heatsink to the southbridge solved the problem.

Exactly. Slap a HS (passive is fine) on the SB and you should be good to go.

If you can find one, an old 40mm i486 HSF combo and some thermal tape fits perfectly, and there's a fan header close enough to reach.... ;)

*sigh*

Fired up UT2K3 tonight, and the sound problems came back...:rolleyes: Then it was ok for a while, and started acting up again.

Worst it's ever been, actually. Came dang close to stuffing the ol SB Live! value in there, until they figure out the fix for this. I still might.

B.

I have the stock nb cooler on my southbridge. I got the latest drivers from Nvidia, I'll try the ones from windows later.

Problem is, Microsoft doesn't support 98se anymore, and it's what I use :(

At windowsupdate, there are drivers for Nforce2 audio dated June 17 and those work great! On every previous drivers the EAX sound NFS: HP2 would be crackling and weird but now it works like it should :)

Mr B said:
*sigh*

Fired up UT2K3 tonight, and the sound problems came back...:rolleyes: Then it was ok for a while, and started acting up again.

Worst it's ever been, actually. Came dang close to stuffing the ol SB Live! value in there, until they figure out the fix for this. I still might.

B.

thats one thing i hope to never have to use again.....SB Live of any version..... i have three stuffed away somewhere.... hope to keep them stuffed too.

sandman001 said:
I get short little repeated beeps when I'm playing a game, or running 3dmark.

What could be causing this?

If you have the Hardware Doctor installed, the beeps are alerts. Look for any sliders that are close to the min or max and adjust. Thats the source of beeps. Cracking sound is a different story.

Mito said:

... Also, you can try to change the "Sample Rate Conversion Quality" in the Playback/Advanced/Performance part of the nForce Control Panel...

Umm, I have an NF7-s v2, and I cant find what you are refering to, well I can find the Nforce control pannel, but there arnt any of the things you mention in there... There are 6 tabs at the top, none of them say what you mentioned, why cant I find them? I think im using the "nForce 2.03 Win2k" drivers if that makes any difference?!

Im just going to download the new thing off windows update, and see if that makes any difference :/

Okay, after installing the update, still no sucess, can someone point me in the right direction please?

Last edited:
kct2 said:

Heck my soutbridge runs hotter than my northbridge, even with a high fsb.

my crackling went away by installing the lastest 2.03 driver from nvidias site...and also i put a fan on it just for *****s and giggles.

Back