• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultimate Thermal Paste Round [email protected]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was hoping that Nanotherms PCM+ would stand out significantly. IT won the match up but only marginally.

It'll still give it try because i like the fact that it goes on easily

Very well done review i might add. Its done by DogMan from Xtreme so it is by a respected overclocker.

Last edited:
That shootout suprised me. I still use a tube of AS2 from way back when :confused:. A lot of those pastes run 5c+ cooler then AS2 so I guess it's time to get some new paste.

BTW doesn't Project 0.891 sound intriguing or what? :D

Here's my conclusions:

Nanotherm is best for P4's with the Heat Spreader. (Due to ease of application over the large area, and the ability it has to smooth out very evenly with a little bit of persuasion)

Ceramique is best for the AMD guys and P3 on down, those with exposed cores (or P4 guys on a TIGHT budget!)

:D

It shows how much of a HUGE difference thermal compound can make..
Btw.. Rat Shack paiste beats AS3:eek:

WOW, and I allways laughed when I saw that thermal compound in Radio Shack thinking how much better AS is.

i will be testing shin etsu next month after i build a new system

i just paid about 1200yen ( about 10$) for roughly 1 gram but im not completly gerented its really shin etsu ( unmarked container)

so i had 1 of my students order a company sample that will arive in a couple weeks also ( hehe didnt know till yesterday that he can order 100 grams for testing)

from what i hear you need to heat it up and it really only works well for amd and needs to a very thin layer so in a couple weeeks when i finish the system im building ill let you guys know how it goes

Take every review with a grain of salt. It's best to make your own conclusions through first hand experience.

Last edited:
i'm gonna get me some ceramique cause it good/cheap/easy to apply and it's readily available on ebay

where do they sell this nanotherm stuff??

Hummm, I wonder how many times TIMs have been discussed here? ---- The basics have not changed and won't.

Unfortunately the study is worth about what it cost you, nothing. Not flaming you GameFAQsRolo.

Problems associated with study:
1) accuracy of temperature measurement - appears to use Winbound Hardware Doctor and mobo thermistors.
2) no consistent application, cleaning and mounting procedure
3) one set of tests - typically the variation from one application to the next will be bigger than the the variation of one TIM to another. For example, look at the variation of results from one reviewer to another dealing with Namotherms PCM+ where each reviewer draws conclusions based on 1 test. I've seen it reported to be 4C better than AS3.

Joe had an article on the front page some time back (maybe a year ago?) and it basically said you can't get much better than the better TIMs at that time.

You've brought up some valid points and considerations relative to review testing methodologies. It's best to take each review with a grain of salt, and compare the common threads, patterns and results of several different reviews before you make your own informed deduction of the relative performance of one TIM vs. another.

Case in point - you make reference to Joe's review several months ago, and some conclusions he made about TIMs not getting much better than they are now (then). Fortunately, that is not the case. Thermal Interface Material technology does continue to evolve and improve. The TIMs of today are, in fact, better, than the TIMs of yesterday.

If TIMs don't continue to improve, CPU speeds will eventually "hit the wall" for all practical intents and purposes. Thermal interface materials have to improve, otherwise, they won't be able to transfer the increasing heat loads of the faster CPUs - no matter what type of cooling system is used - and systems will eventually go into thermal runaway. That wouldn't be much fun for anyone, would it? ;)

Welcome to the forums, Nanotherm.

Before some of us rip your statements to shreds, perhaps a
honeymoon period is in order. In your user profile you list
your occupation as "Thermal Management." Perhaps you
would like to provide us with a brief list of your credentials
and work experience.....Just a thought.

Thank you for your warm welcome - pleased to be here.

A brief list of my credentials? Alright then. I am the president of ESG Associates Corp. and the inventor / developer of our Nanotherm brand thermal interface materials.

Tecumseh said:
Welcome to the forums, Nanotherm.

Before some of us rip your statements to shreds, perhaps a
honeymoon period is in order. In your user profile you list
your occupation as "Thermal Management." Perhaps you
would like to provide us with a brief list of your credentials
and work experience.....Just a thought.

I second your thoughts.

Nanotherm said:
Thank you for your warm welcome - pleased to be here.

A brief list of my credentials? Alright then. I am the president of ESG Associates Corp. and the inventor / developer of our Nanotherm brand thermal interface materials.

Welcome Nanotherm!

I think your credentials qualify you as a business man. I can think of several variations of background to get you to that point but they do not necessarily require expertise as a thermal expert.

Be :cool:

Back