• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Barton 2500+ with stock hs/f

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Junglebizz

I am going to be picking up an epox 8rda+ and a barton 2500+ and was curious just how high anyone has been able to overclock with the stock fan and heatsink?

I won't be doing it for long because I have my watercooling rig that i will tranfer over to it, but I was curious.

It is hard to say as each chip/mobo/system is totally different. I wouldn't expect too much, but I hear really good things about the newer 2500+'s. My guess is 200mhz. :D

Good luck with that. I just bought my 2500+ retail from newegg and it refuses to do 200mhz. I am using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and the TwinX Kingston 1Gb memory. I can't think of what would be causing the instability, but 180mhz is about all I can do without random reboots.

I've seen Barton 2500s with 2 different heatsinks. One is aluminum like the 1700XP and the other is a small copper heatsink. I ran a 2500 with the copper heatsink without overclocking and it ran around 50c running prime 95, the case temps were 32c. Granted these temps should drop when the AS3 cures, but I think this is too high to consider using it for overclocking.

I'm running a barton 2500 with the stock HSF, and mine's short and aluminum. I haven't had it OCed permanently, but I had it up to 2040mhz without raising the vcore and I was getting like 51C load 43C idle, and it was stable after 12 hours of prime95 torture testing.

I didn't even consider using the stock HSF on mine even when I wasn't going to o/c it. I would just keep it pretty low until you get the w/c on it then crank it up.

Ya, i know how i am going to rebuild the watertower, now all i have to do is get the free time!

Is there much difference betwen the AQXDA and AQXEA steppings on these chips? I heard that there wasn't much difference in oc performance.

wannaoc said:
I didn't even consider using the stock HSF on mine even when I wasn't going to o/c it. I would just keep it pretty low until you get the w/c on it then crank it up.

What heatsink/fan did you decide to use on the Barton 2500? I have a retail one to install in an EP-8RDA+ and am debating what HS to use - the stock or some Thermalright...

Thanks!

A sweet and not too expensive hs/f to use would be the vantec aeroflow. I have heard nothing but good about it. Keeps really cool, and low noise.

Stock? My experience with stock cooling Overclocks has always either been bitter dissapointment or a hot CPU. I think I got up to a 138 FSB with an 1800+

Of course, in this new age of Tbred B's and Bartons, maybe stock has come a long way, but when I was OCing with Pallys....(Makes farting sound)

-Jeff

Back