• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory configuration

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IGUANAS

Registered
im currently using 2 sticks of 256MB ocz pc3500 basic in my abit nf7-s v2 at 220mhz...
now my question is...
what would happen if i put another 512MB dimm of the same memory??
thanks

so, if i use 3 dimms i loose dual channel whatever the configuration is?

I also had the same question. I read at the Mushkin board that you could still run dual channel with the 2 256MB DIMMs as one channel and the 512MB one as the other channel, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Also, the ABIT manual says that for PC3200 and up, you can only use two DIMMs. Has anyone else successfully used 3 DIMMs higher than PC3200? If so that's great, since that means I can keep my two sticks I have now and upgrade to 1 GB in the future. Even if I lose dual channel, I don't think that it's really that much of a performance increase on an AMD platform.

Iguanas - yes.

TheMatrixHasYou -
Welcome to the forums!!!

I think the worst that would happen is that your PC3200's will run as PC2700's. I've heard dual channel doesn't work as well on the AMD boards but I don't know the increase.

-Bobby

i dont had now another dimm of pc3500 to test...
i will tell to a friend that borrow me one to test...

Back