• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Pump To Get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
I would like to get a pump with low noise, no leaks, reliable, low heat, and conservative power consumption.

I was thinking of maybe:

Danner mag 3 or 5

Eheim 1248 or 1250

Hydor L20 or L30

what has the best of all I am looking for.

I ordered the via aqua 1300 but heard it had leaking problems. that is easily fixed but I also heard it is warmer and louder than some others.

I am thinking of running two pumps in a series I will have the following setup:

D-TEK WW Block

A large Chevy caprice heater core (purchased today!) :) $19.99

4 120mm fans

Bay Reservoir

and the pumps? Hmmm

I will add a north bridge and VGA block as I can afford them.

This will all be packed into an external enclosure of aluminum and plex.

Last edited:
I personally have an Eheim 1250 and I love it. It is very quiet, doesnt put off all that much heat, and is very relaible. I have also heard very good things about the Danner Mag Drive pumps, and the Hydor pumps, but I wanted to go with Eheim for my system due to the name and the reliability.

The plans are still morphing in my mind. It is slowly coming into view as my parts are assembled. I will post when I have a clear vision of how it will be built.

Last edited:
Via aqua 1300 here. I think leaks are due to overtightening the hose barbs into the pump and cracking the casing and such. I used poly ones so it worked pretty well. With the impeller mod the pump is silent. The pump does run a bit on the warm side. I think the problem is reliability when it comes to the vias...

I would go for an Eheim 1250, and if you have the funds (and room) an Iwaki MD-15R. The pump is really the heart of the system. Dont scimp on the pump.

n6b72g said:
I would go for an Eheim 1250, and if you have the funds (and room) an Iwaki MD-15R. The pump is really the heart of the system. Dont scimp on the pump.
The MD-15 is about the same size as the 1250... but not as wide.

And your sig is freaking me out...

Via Aqua 1300 here...it only runs loud when there's air in the system...and it puts off the same amount of heat as the Eheim 1250 does...even though it pushes more water.

The hydor L20 puts out the same amout of gph then the Eheim 1248 and its cheaper and from what ive heard its just as good as the Eheim but its cheaper (20 english pounds - roughly)

its the one im gonna be buying shortly

Enyo said:
The hydor L20 puts out the same amout of gph then the Eheim 1248 and its cheaper and from what ive heard its just as good as the Eheim but its cheaper (20 english pounds - roughly)

its the one im gonna be buying shortly
I think you mean the 1048. I wouldn't say it's as good, it may have the same specs but not 'as good'. Eheims have reliabilty second to none. I have never heard of problems with them and I can't say that about the Hydors.

I have tried Danner MAG 5 and Eheim 1250. They're quiet, but the Eheim 1250 is quieter. From the test I did (PC was not running) the heat from the more powerful MAG5 increased water temp ~6C while Eheim 1250 only increased water temp ~1C. Both were run inline.

are you sure on those water temp increases? what did you use to measure the temps and where? was anythign changed? I have my doubts it could change that much, Im running my water 3c over ambient temp with a mag#3

Jon

I had the Eheim 1250 and after 10 months it started sucking air. Checked all the gaskets and such and all look fine. Right now I'm looking at getting a Hydor L30 cause of price and it works better then the 1250.

JFettig said:
are you sure on those water temp increases? what did you use to measure the temps and where? was anythign changed? I have my doubts it could change that much, Im running my water 3c over ambient temp with a mag#3

Jon

I measured the temps from the water in the reservoir using the same Radio Shack digital thermometer. Nothing was changed other than the pumps. The ambient temp was the same. The pumps were running ~6 hours. I was surprised to see the temp increased that much. I like to see test results from people who are using MAG 5. Maybe my MAG5 ran hotter than MAG 5 average.

Klownin79, Where do you get your information about how it works better than the 1250? It could be sucking air thru another area, a resevore, a T, another hosebarb, There is many possibilities.

Jon

Here is where I found out it works better. As for the leaks it's the pump I checked everything else, at first I thought it was my HC thenI took it out and it still happens.

It may push a little more water, but does that review say if its more reliable? how about if it runs hotter? Does it talk about the breakable impeller shaft in the hydors?

Hook up some tubing to your eheim, drop it in a bucket, get rid of all bubbles off of it and all. Plug one end and blow with all your might, you might be able to find the leak.

Jon

The Mag 3 is the better choice than the Mag 5. In a complete system both will push about the same flow rates due to their peak pressure head being about the same. The Mag 3 pushes MUCH less heat into the water though.

Back