• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power for my external water cooling system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerpetualBliss

Registered
I am putting together an external box for my Radiator, fans, pumps, and reservoir. What is the best way to get power to my 4 120mm fans.Should I put a PSU in my external unit or splice a wire from my computers Antec 550 PSU.

I wouldnt think that you would need to put another PSU into the external box. I would splice some wires to it and do it that way, but I dont use an external box, so I couldnt tell ya.

Ya, splicing sounds like the way to go. I really don't want a PSU in my external enclosure. I was wondering how others have done it. I occasionally move my PC and wanted to wire it with that in mind.

I will probably splice it and have a plug between the PC and the cooling unit so I can disconnect when I need to.

Last edited:
Here's what I did for mine:

I got this: http://www.cooltechnica.com/Merchan...PROD&Product_Code=PRSK&Category_Code=Electric

I used the excess cord I had to cut off my pump to go from my external case to my computer case...putting a molex end on one end which connects into my computer case's PSU...and connecting the other end into the Relay (which I connected the fans to) ... that gives me a 12v, a ground, and an extra wire I'm using to monitor the RPM of my fan :D

I'm using an old mirco ATX case that has a built-in PSU to build an external wc rig. Fans get power from this PSU. The PSU and water pump get the power from the UPS that also powers the PC. So when I turn on the UPS, the fans and water pump start, then I turn the PC on.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL94/167985/2462966/29417870.jpg

In the picture (top view) the PSU is near the pump.

Last edited:
If you want to use 12v fans just get a 12v AC/DC adapter from radioshack and attatch a molex connector to the plug. To get power in to the enclosure, I used a cheap 3-outlet power strip and cut the plug and attatched an IEC receptacle (from a dead psu) to it.

It's also possible to put a power outlet on the enclosure so that the computer will be powered on only when the your external watercooler is turned on.

Back