• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help! NF7-S not posting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hurk

OK. Many of you know I bought a used Abit NF7-S Rev 1.2 and a Barton 2500+ with OCZ PC3500 Ram.

I installed everything by the book. Tried to boot. Didn't boot. No Beeps. Reset the BIOS. Tried to boot. Didn't boot. No Beeps. Took off the heatsink, busted core. *sigh* Got a new CPU, popped it in there with a different heatsink and went to boot. Didn't boot. No Beeps.

Tried a different video card, same issue. Tried it without the ram, still no beeps. Both power connectors on the motherboard are on. Both blue LED's are on. Reset work, Power work, all LED's are on. No other PCI in there.

Please help. I am frusterated, and very disappointed.

Thanks,
Hurk

I had the same problem that your having. I'll bet the same thing that was wrong with mine is wrong with yours too. The board is shorting out in the case. Take the board out of the case and lay it on wood or something non conductive. These motherboards short out alot easier than other ones for some reason. If you need any help on keeping the board from shorting in the case, let me know. I came up with a pretty cool way to stop it.

/\/\/\/\

What he said!

Ive had the exact same prob before many times. You just have something shorting out... sometimes its the PSU but usually its the mobo. Take it out... try it outside the case then put it back, if thats the case id like to hear Byrus' cool trick to stopping shorts.

Yeah, please show me the tricks!

Would this make the computer not post, or would it stop it from actually powering on?

Thanks

Tried different Ram, Different CPU's, all outside the case, different video card, resetting the bios, reseating the CPU, all to no avail.

I had a similar problem with my NF7-S, it was that the power supply wasn't powerful enough. My suggestion would be to swap supplies, preferably with a more powerful one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt it's the supply. I had the mobo and the hard drive and the cpu fan hooked up and that was it. Still same issue. I'm RMA both CPU and motherboard.

I tried to post earlier but it didn't work for some reason. Anyway here is my trick. My case has brass studs so this trick only works for cases with studs. I took a motherboard screw and stud to the hardware store. I got 9 rubber washers that fit the screws and a
1ft piece of clear rubber hose that I could barely get over the studs. With the studs screwed in the case, I slid the hose over each stud and cut it off with scissors. After you finish this, unscrew the studs and trim the hose almost level with the studs.
Make sure the washers are small enough to see a few threads and you should be good to go. The NF7-S is a real easy board to short, so maybe this will help someone. Good luck...

Back