• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800DLX can you use a SATA and an IDE drive at the same time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Weltall

The reason I ask this is because I want to pull some info off of one of my old IDE ATA drives and put it on my new hardrive? is it possible to have the SATA as the master and the IDE as the slave?

Yes *Edit* Actually you may have a problem if you're trying to boot from the Sata instead of the IDE. The IDE drive will be either a primary or secondary master, while the sata will be third or fourth master. With the IDE drive hooked up I'm not sure if you have the option to boot from the sata first. I was thinking you wanted to boot from the ide and copy stuff to the sata.

Last edited:
You can boot from an SATA drive and have an IDE drive plugged in. I did that until recently, but the default is to boot the IDE, so you have to play around in the boot menu in the bios. There are two options, boot order and hard drive order. Boot order lets you decide which to boot first, second and third, between floppy, cd-rom, and hard disk, hard disk order determines which order the computer sees the hard disks in, note that the boot menu will only allow boot from the first hard disk in the hard disk menu, so you'll have to reorder your hard disk so your SATA drive is first. Took me awhile to figure that one out.

Does ths hard drive reordering actually change drive letters as the OS sees them or does it only change the order that the system reads hard drives for boot information when the system is powered on?

In other words, say your IDE drive is C: and your SATA drive is D: and the IDE drive is listed first in the hard disk menu in the BIOS. If you flip the hard disk order, do the drive lettes swap?

Don't know but why is it important? Anyway if you need to change hard drive letters, right click on my computer and choose manage. Go to storage and select Disk management, right click on any partition whose drive you want to change, and select change drive letter and paths.

My IDE got corrupted and can't boot which is the real reason I need to do it this way. I also want to format it and try and make it usable again. It 's a 30 gigger IBM 7200 rpm drive, Its really not to bad and could be used in a modern machine if needed.

I had to put /boot on the IDE to run the OS on the SATA. Try to create a 500MB slice on the IDE for the boot sector. It worked well on the A7N8X-DLX. Just be sure to F6 the RAID drivers or the SATA will be configured as an IDE if the OS can even see it.

SupaNgr said:
Don't know but why is it important? Anyway if you need to change hard drive letters, right click on my computer and choose manage. Go to storage and select Disk management, right click on any partition whose drive you want to change, and select change drive letter and paths.
It's important for a dual-boot Win98/XP system - 98 must be installed on the C drive. You also can't manage drive letters through My Computer in Win98.

I'm pretty sure it changes hard drive lettering, the reason I didn't post that at first is because I thought you were using XP, I'm having a hard time figuring out what will happen if you change drive lettering in XP's computer management then go and reorder the hard drives, who will win when the OS and BIOS fight? dunno. but for win98, it should do what you want, ie make the boot drive = c:

How can I make a 500M on the IDE boot sector? would this help my corrupted hardrive to work once again?

If you need to recover data don't do anything with that drive. There are some programs that might help you. If the mbr got hosed or partitions are screwed up you can use a program called disk patcher. If you want to pull data from the drive use iRecovery.

Back