• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running without cmos jumper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

A few days ago, my PC stopped working. I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Everytime I tryed to power up my system the power light would come on for a split second and then the system would shut down instantly.
After trying everything I could think of, I reset the cmos. Nope still didnt work, then I removed the cmos jumper completely and it worked again!
What happened?
Will running my system without the cmos jumper cause problems? I already found one problem, all my cmos settings disappear, I have to re-setup the bios again. This happens whenever a hardlock occurs. I also lose my bios settings when I switch the power off on the back of the power supply.

Last edited:
Shouldn't cause any prob aside from the inconvience of having to reset everything all the time. Did you try a new battery?

Good idea, never though of that, new battery. The board is only 6 months old (IT7) so I figure that the battery would be ok, then again the battery may be a dud. Just seems strange the board wont post at all with the cmos jumper on.

That is weird. On my abit board, it only shuts down like that if the jumper is OFF of the blocks. Exact opposite of your issue. Hmm. And you are sure that you have it on the correct pins yes?

Back