• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DROPPING MY A7N8X for ABIT NF7-S!!! Any advice???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atari

Hey all.

It sucks but i'm just getting rid of my asus a7n8x DLX board. Yea I know its kinda dumb but I cant stand it anymore. Its total crap. cant turn it on anymore without flinching. EVERYTIME I turn it on it needs 2 restarts, I have had Bios corruption errors then all of a sudden it magicly boots normally. I dont play games much I do professional work and I need a good board without all this crap. BTW, my setup is fine its deffidently the board.

Ok, so I hear this is the best board out there (rev. 2) and was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of? Any tips/hints/advice would be great. OH!! before I forget will an SLK-800 fit on this BOARD??? Or is it hard/impossible to get it on???

Current specs are:

Athlon XP2100+ @ 2.3ghz
512mb Corsair XMS memory (upgrading now.. @ 1gb)
Geforce FX 5900
Antec Truepower 550W

I use both boards and prefer the Abit. With the ver 2 you do not have to worry about the bios corruption problem.
No major problems of note. If you plan on running very high fsb than you need to do the 12 mod so your cpu defaults at 166.

The SLK 800/900 fit.

Thanx for the help! Is there a web site that shows that mod?? Plus how high a FSB can you get without the Mod?

Hrmm looked around so you have to mod the cpu? How come? (coming froman asus board) cant the Abit unlock multipliers like the Asus can??

Atari said:
Plus how high a FSB can you get without the Mod?

Hrmm looked around so you have to mod the cpu? How come? (coming froman asus board) cant the Abit unlock multipliers like the Asus can??

most people can hit about 230Mhz before the board limits them.

the Abit will have all the multiplyers availble for supported CPUs just like the Asus board.

The only multipliers avaliable for your 2100+ Will be 12, 12.5, 12, 11.5, 11, 10.5, 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5 and 6....At least I'm pretty sure 6 is as low as it goes...

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=211504&highlight=L12*

There is a thread on the L12 mod. Mainly what you need to do is connect 3rd L12 bridge from the left (like counting towards the actual L12 letters/numbers.) The link to the EOC thread has a good image...you connect the bridges w/a conductive material, it looks like that the guy in there used a bit of wire or a staple (small staple...) and glued it in but made sure that there was contact inbetween the metal and "dots" becuase superglue shouldnt get in there becuase superglue is an insulator iirc...

Fold and Frag on
Brian

bubba gump said:
The only multipliers avaliable for your 2100+ Will be 12, 12.5, 12, 11.5, 11, 10.5, 10, 9.5, 9, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5 and 6....At least I'm pretty sure 6 is as low as it goes...

Fold and Frag on
Brian

No, Abit's board has a 5bit FID, which means it FULLY unlocks any unlocked CPU. That means you have access to 5x-22.5x. :)

Excellent choice indeed. I've made the same move from Asus to Abit. Since you are doing professional work, not sure if you care for S3 (suspend to ram) or not. If you do, this board still has issues of not being able to resume from S3. The same goes for Asus and other nForce2 chipset mobo. Abit is aware of this issue and is currently working on an ALPHA BIOS to fix it.

Other than that, everything else work perfectly. I am able to push up to 245fsb without any mods. 220fsb should be pretty easy.

chung_chang said:
Excellent choice indeed. I've made the same move from Asus to Abit. Since you are doing professional work, not sure if you care for S3 (suspend to ram) or not. If you do, this board still has issues of not being able to resume from S3. The same goes for Asus and other nForce2 chipset mobo. Abit is aware of this issue and is currently working on an ALPHA BIOS to fix it.

Does anyone else have experience with this problem, or with the Alpha bios that allegedly fixes it? Suspend to Ram has become one of those 'can't live without' features for my motherboards, and I was in the market for one based on nforce2.

Thanks for any experiences or advice you can post on any/all S3/suspend to ram issues with these boards!

Back