• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7s5a wont hold bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diddydo75

sometimes when my comp boots up the bios has gone back to some sort of factory setting,the on board sound is enabled and the fsb is set to 100 mhz.this happens even with a new battery but it is only every now and again.anyone else heard of this before?thanks in advance.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

This is a strange problem, but I can think of a couple of things off hand. First, it might be that your computer locks up or is unstable, and after such an occurence defaults back to the default settings.

Second, it might be that something is draining the battery every now and then. The next time it happens, you might consider taking a multimeter or voltmeter and measuring the voltage across the battery. If it's dead, then that's where you go next.

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure. Anybody else? -- Paul

Never had that problem with the one in my main rig, but with the Tbird rig the batter goes dead about every 6 months... dunno why, I've never hcange the other one. I dunno really what it is. Is your board still under warrenty? If so exchange it.

i bought it second hand of ebay so no come back there!i use my pc nearly everyday and this happens about once a week.i'll keep digging around until i find the answer or get a new board.cheers for the help.

James and JDXNC, thanks for jumping in to my rescue! :)

Hmmm, do you leave your computer off for extended periods? You might consider putting it into standby instead. That way, you shouldn't be draining your battery at all. -- Paul

Huh, that is so strange. In that case, it sounds like a board defect. I hope there's a better resolution for diddydo75! -- Paul

james.miller said:
i didnt, no. sometimes even rebooting would cause it.

Mine will suddenly lockup in windows, and when I hit the reset the bios is cleared, won't hold any settings, change the batter and its good for another 6 months or so. And this rig is on 24/7 folding.

That is a common prob with this board that I have read about somewhere. I will do a little search and get back to you.

This is from the readme in with the Honey-X bios

Q: I loose my Cmos frequently, have Memory misdetection or am getting a blank screen at coldboots. Is there a possible fix for this?

A: Yes, you can try an other BIOS release or apply Mr.Athlons resistor fix if no BIOS will help you. For more details and how to improve it read here:
http://pub65.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm10.showMessage?topicID=567.topic
Worked for a lot of people who couldn´t fix it with an other BIOS release. There is a BIOS (021029tsd) that adresses this issue but it´s only fake. Just a renamed 021029 bios that was released before.

Well, you certainly might as well take a peak at the resistor hack. Ya' never know ... ;) Good luck! -- Paul

diddydo75 said:
JDXNC, i see you have a 1.33 thunderbird overclocked......how you manage that i thought they ran quite hot anyway?

IT is hot, it stays about 52 to 55°C at load using the stock AMD HSF and a well ventalated case. The CPU has more in it but the PC133 ram and the heat is holding it back. I tested that cpu on another board and it booting windows at 1500Mhz no problem.

There is a flash CD available that works perfectly, I'll try to fine it for you, it contains the Cheepoman BIOS with overclocking options.

Here you go:

http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~jdebock/

Once downloaded, extract it, burn the iso to a cd and it will make a bootable cd. Once booted from it, it gives you a list of BIOS's to flash to, just select the newest Cheapoman bios, i think its the very top of the list, select it and it does everything for you. I've flashed serveral K7S5A's with this with no mishaps at all.

Back