• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SLK-900-U?!?!?!??!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

POL-tec2002

ok so im looking around newegg and i see the slk.....ive heard good things about it. But my question is how do u mount such a big heat sink?? will it work wit abit nf7-s mobo?? Also whats the best fan for it?!? Should i lapp it when i get it?? o yea the cpu i want is 2500+ will it ccoool it??!?!?!

big heat sinks like the 900U use bolts and screws, which come with the sink. according to thermal right's site it says that it is compatible with revision 2.0 and 1.2 (requires customized standoffs) of the nf7-s mobos. lapping is completely up to you, and the condition of the heatsink. if it has ridges and looks bad, i'd lap it. otherwise, leave it alone. and yes, it'll work well with a 2500+ cpu. as for a fan, other ppl have better ideas on what to use, so i'll let them respond:)

I just got a 2500 and an SLK-900 yesterday. To install you need to basically take you mobo out of the caseas you need to mount a plate behind the mobo that the heat sink will screw into (actually I didn't take it out all the, just enough to reach around the back). That would have been annoying if hadn't been planning on rewiring my case anyway as it was getting very cluttered.

I however did have a big problem getting the heat sink it self to fit. I've got an A7N8X dlx (not sure what version, bought about 6 months ago or so) and the capacitors near the socket and the northbridge heat sink were in the way, if just barely. At first I tried using me dremel to grind the fins of the SLK-900 down a bit but that just wasn't working. Basically I just bent in the fins a little on one side and pretty much just forced it. Luckily I didn;t break anything as my comp powered on fine. My temps did drop about 5ºC from my 2100/SK-7 setup. I think I can probably reseat the heat sink and get a little lower.

Btw I use Thermaltakes Smart Case Fan II, they rock, even if the orange is a bit gaudy. At max speed they can be pretty loud but they move a LOT of air, and you have some choices on controlling there speed. I actually have 3 in my case right now.

absolutely not! the abit nf7-s has holes already surrounding the socket. and even if there were not any holes, drilling them would be the worst idea you've ever had:) the mb is a mutlilayered pcb, you risk drilling through a trace.

Labotomy Jack: yeah, it says on the thermalright site that bending of capacitors is required for your board.

Labotomy Jack: yeah, it says on the thermalright site that bending of capacitors is required for your board.

Kinda wish I had read up a little more, but hey everything is working fine (and btw those capictors don't really bend very much either)

Back