• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dust!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

Hey all, I've got a Thermaltake Xaser 5000A case, and I seem to get a lot of dust build up inside the case, on cards, on hard drives, everywhere!

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening, ie: fan filters/screens?

Thanks!

yes

you can lock your self in a clean room

other than that no

you can put filters on your fans and stuff but then you got to change the filters

i just prefer to keep the case of the ground and blow it out with the can o air every once in a while

Filters do help, but ontop of having to clean them, the limit the airflow... alot. but thats not a problem for a case with 7 fans:D

Just remeber to clean your filters regularly if you do use them.

And I certainly second the notion of lifting your case off the floor especially if you case is on a carpeted floor. Of course vacuuming/sweeping the room frequently ain't that bad of an idea either.

After I recently puchased a used computer and vacuumed out about a pound of dust bunnies, my temps dropped about 5c.
Seems like keeping the room as clean as possible (vacuum the rug about once a week) and keeping the computer up off the ground is the best way to go.

gbcue said:
Be sure to have positive case pressure, ie. more air coming in than leaving your case.
I think you have that back-words, you would want more going out then in. So that the dust doesn't have a chance to settle down and stick

I like to use compressed air (80psi+) and hit it quick but I hold back my fans as if you hit them with compressed air you can wipe out the bearing or even pop off the blades (and yes I have done both)

Stedeman said:

I think you have that back-words, you would want more going out then in. So that the dust doesn't have a chance to settle down and stick
I think you have it backwards.

With more air going in, dust is being blown out through every crevice.

With more air going out, dust is being sucked in through every crevice.

-
A can of air works great for cleaning out dust.

I find cans of air move dust around very well, but don't do much for actual cleaning. You can get small vacuums with little bristle attachments.

i always just used canned air and some cue tips ( the ear things)

also
i make sure to point a bigger fain at teh case when im doing the canned air

it seems to work better when the canned air lossens up the dust
and the big fan blows it away and keeps it from settleing back down

For cleaning thoroughly, I have several implements which help alot...I have an airbrush and compressor that I use for modeling, that is great for blowing out the dust bunnies. Under a steady flow of pressurized air, I like to use an old cosmetics brush I bought years ago for dusting model surfaces prior to painting...it works great for loosening the dust in every crevice of your computer...For those difficult to clean HSF fins, I use a pipe cleaner but you must be careful, as it has a metal core...Q-tips are also a favorite utensil for computer cleaning, and combined with a little alcohol will clean just about anything you got...

Simply blowing the computer out once in awhile still leaves quite a build up of residue on components, and where cooling is concerned, that residue can considerably diminish your airflow and cooling capacity...
"Spring Cleaning" every year for me...:D

I thought vacuuming wasn't safe (static electricity or something). I thought I read that somewhere. Well, anyways, I used can air too, and it works fine.

i blow out hsf with compressed air/a bicycle pump, wipe down the inside of the case with a moist paper towel to get rid of the dust, then let it dry

Anyway, fan filters are the most common modification to reduce dust, aside from moving the PC off the floor and onto a desk or table, etc.

Back