• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm not using any Thermal Grease...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I'm not wearing any underwear. The temps in my office are in the low 30s. I wonder if wearing thermal grease would make it any more comfortable in here. Hmmm... Arctic Silver boxers.

Crazy is just a matter of perspective.

I'm willing to bet you'll shave up to 4 degrees off your temps, which is nothing to shake a stick at.

I don't think you are crazy... usually retail computers don't have thermal grease, and anyone else who just uses retail hs and stock stuff doesn't have thermal grease either.
what heatsink is it anyway?

stan03 said:
I don't think you are crazy... usually retail computers don't have thermal grease, and anyone else who just uses retail hs and stock stuff doesn't have thermal grease either.
what heatsink is it anyway?

Most stock stuff comes w/thermal tape, or a cheasy actual grease where grease isnt a good conductor...and goop is better ;) And the tape is just really messy stuff...my uncle's tbird fried and lol...all of the tape was like all brown o_O

Fold and Frag on
Brian

look at it this way:
i could run around naked in alaska, but i sure would feel a lot more comfortable with some clothes on
you can run that proc with no goop, but i think it could use a little goop

I've been thinking about that... what if you lapped the IHS on a P4/Celeron and the bottom of the HSF with something like 2000?
Would there still be any reason for using a TIM?
Sure, there will always be a lot of really tiny mountains and vallies but if the surfaces are smooth enough a TIM might resault in higher temps?

Somewhere, a frictionless surface was created, but that's irrelevant. If you haven't had problems thus far, there is no need to use it. However, if you want a little more of a comfort zone, then by all means, break out the Ceramique.

i dont have any thermal grease either and my temps are at 43 idle and 49 on load. Im going to put some on later.

I wouldn't say you're crazy, but you certainly are a daredevil...

My primary question is why would you even take a chance? The chances are that if you are getting temps "around 40" without any thermal compound, what would your temps be if you did use a little AS3, Ceramique, or whatever?
I believe that you would see at least some improvement, even if it was only a degree or two...Isn't that worth it?
Not to mention the inevitable question, "How much more can I get out of my overclock now?" That's the real question, eh??
:D

Yes it's running bone dry. And I know I should see 5 - 10 degrees improvement with the use of some. But I never got around to getting any. I will be getting some the enxt time I order another part, but I just don't see the need for it to get its own order. Temps seem fine. Comp seems stable.

I'll prolly get it and add it within the month.

*EDIT* What are some good places to get Thermal Grease? Newegg only has a few types listed. I'm either going to get Nanotherm PCM+ or AS Ceramique.

Last edited:
Your PC will run better with something between the CPU and HSF, rather than nothing at all. Even if you were able to micro-machine and polish both surfaces to the point were each surface was as flat and polished as possible - and both surfaces "fit" together as perfectly as possible with respect to the other - you might achieve a total contact area of 20 - 30% between the surfaces. The average person (or company) could not afford the level of technology it would take to achieve 20 - 30% "dry" contact between surfaces.

In this best case scenario, the other 70 - 80% represents trapped air. The average "as manufactured" total contact area of a well-manufactured CPU and HSF is actually about 2 - 5%. You might be able to improve this percentage to about 5 - 10% if you had some good equipment and knew what you were doing.

Given the fact that air is one of the least thermally conductive materials in the world - and given the fact that air would comprise about 95 - 98% of the thermal junction if no thermal interface material is used to gap it out, don't you think you would you be better off putting something in between your HSF and CPU rather than nothing at all?

Last edited:
Back