• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp 2500 a7n8x multiplier problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vassago70

hi
i own a a7n8x board with an athlon xp 2500 (barton)
but i can't set the multiplier at more than 12.5..
when i try to put it at a higher multiplier like 13 the computer boot but at 800mhz.
is there something i forgot i kinda new to this

a7n8x
xp 2500
antec 430w
kingston 1024m pc3200
wd 120g 8m
audigy
termal take volcano 9
4 case fan

did you up the vcore, if not, up it by .25 at a time, what is the fsb set to, you should start by lowering the multi to like 9 or 10, then up the fsb as far as it will go w/ stability(same thing, if unstable or won't go, up the vcore), once you hit the max fsb, then start upping the multipliers(again, up the vcore when needed), also, that's a good psu, but you might want to up it closer to 500w, but yours should do you good for now

not sure of the 2500 bartons default multi. but if it is 12.5 or lower...you will have to mod the 2500 to achieve 13x and higher...

unless youve unlocked your chip or it came unlocked already (usually pretty rare) your only going to be able to get to 12.5x multi as the nforce2 boards do the same thing as the pinmod on tbreds or popping the last l3 bridge

ummmm TetusOH...bartons come unlocked, it would be rare if it was locked

did you do anything to "unlock" your barton?

ya i think barton 2500+s come unlocked, so far i have oced mine and not unlocked it anyways ya would it be dangerous to set my multiplyer to 14? i have the option but im sorta worried?
lol im still only at 11 i should prolly go to 12.

So would it be dangerous to go to 14 as the multiplyer or hurt the chip or anything?

Asus uses a 4 bit multiplier. This allows lower multiplier CPU's to go up to 12.5x. If you go higher, it uses the lowest multiplier, because there is no way of determinig which multiplier to use. If you have a high multiplier CPU 13x and above you will be able to use the higher multipliers.

Abit uses a 5 bit multiplier which allows you to use all multipliers.

yea so if your default multiplier is under 12.5 you'll be able to use all of them from 12.5 and down.. if yoru default is higher than 12.5 like xp2100.. you'll be able to use 13 and higher..

if you want to use the higher multipliers on your current board you'll need to modify your chip =d

cherryp00t said:
yea so if your default multiplier is under 12.5 you'll be able to use all of them from 12.5 and down.. if yoru default is higher than 12.5 like xp2100.. you'll be able to use 13 and higher..

if you want to use the higher multipliers on your current board you'll need to modify your chip =d

I have the A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 w/ Barton 2500+ and 2x256 Corsair PC3200 DDR. I believe it's default multiplier is 11 (11 x 166MHz = 1.8GHz). I've up'd the multiplier to 12.5 (12 x 166 = 2GHz), the highest it would go in BIOS (1005). I'm going to work on raising the FSB in increments. I've heard of some people getting it up to 180 / 190MHz pretty easily. I figure if I can keep it stable at 12.5 x 200Mhz = 2.5GHz, I'll be pretty happy.

Now as to the comment about getting a multiplier of 13 or higher... what is the mod to the chip that needs to be done? Anyone have a link to some instructions?

Any one have a link to pinmodding a Asus A7N8X e Deluxe with an unlocked 2500+ Mobile?

I have been at 12.5x200 and 11x233 without any problems and would like to get into the 13x... range.

Thanks for any help,suggestion, and ideas
-2iC

Back