• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a 2.8 Ghz p4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolffvet

Registered
I have just ordered a 2.8Ghz P4 with the 800 front side bus. What would be the best cooler for this? I have been thinking about going water cooled but I am a little cramped on space

The Zalman CNPS7000-Cu and Thermalright SLK900 are the best for aircooling; the Zalman doing far better at equal noise levels. Watercooling usually doesn't yield too many gains over aircooling, and the Zalman runs quite quietly, too. If noise isn't a concern, then the SLK900 paired with a Vantec Tornado would give the highest performance levels possible on air.

Watercooling is your friend :D

I actually removed my HD/floppy cage so that I could mount my radiator in my case. Put the HD's in the 5.25" bay. It'll cost you, but if you get the right equipment you can make your computer pretty quiet and get a better overclock than a HSF.

Wolffvet said:
I thought water cooling was supposed to superior to air cooling
With older chips, water cooling often created lower temps which allowed a higher overclock. The new P4s seem to hit a wall before temps become too much of a factor, so water cooling will usually not increase a P4C stable overclock that much. It will still be quieter, of course.

Wolffvet, I also recommend the Zalman CNPS7000-Cu. Check the Zalman site to make sure it fits your motherboard - this thing is big.

I have decided to go water cooled. I have checked out various water cooled cases and I like the swiftech except for it is really expensive, should I buy a case like this or put my own system together? I think I would like to cool my ati 9800pro, the chipset and my hardrives as well. Where should I go to find everything to do this?

Watercooled systems run more than 10 degrees cooler than the best air cooling system (SLK-900).... What are you talking about "noise vs. performance" they do?

Water beats Air due to its better conduction of heat... Simple as that, water beats air. No debate.

Wolfvett:

You'll find A LOT more information in the watercooling adventure at OC-Forums' Watercooling Section

On the average, a built system (usually using a heatercore, Eheim pump, and a Danger Den waterblock, purchased seperately) will most likely give you the best temperatures. In order to cool your hard drives, GPU, and chipset, you're going to need a hefty pump and a hefty system overall... Please post in the watercooling section, as all the watercooling pros will help you out there!

Back