• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible MSI board prob ??? AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Madmike2

Ok by now the regulars here have read about my little annoying problem.. a few PM'd me and told me to try a few things .. My 9800 and Adams ex 5900 are scoring really low for some reason . We have same everything including settings ( except now i have a Barton 2500 )... Last two days i have been trying to figure out what was wrong and finally got dEadTed to bring his machine over. Its a 2.4c which we put back to stock for the following experiment.

I took my 9800 and put it in his machine and inserted HIS in my machine . Before we did this we ran 2003 again at stock.. he scored 5213 with his 9800 in his machine and i score 3983 with my 9800 in my machine.

So after that like i said we switched cards. His card now in my machine did not break 4000 and My card which i thought was Fubar scored into the 5200 area . So it isnt my card its something else. And because me and Adam have identical set ups i am leaning towards a driver problem or BIOS. IS it possible ? And if so what the heck do we do to fix it. Unfortunately we dont have the 5900 anymore because there is another 9800 incoming.

So any of you geniuses have an idea? because my head hurts now trying to figure it out. (this will be also in MoBo section) This is my system info again just in case ....

Barton 2500 [at stock again for now ]
2 x 256 samsung 3200 ddr set at 7-3-3-3 [even though i doubt thats it]
MSI 6570 K7n2 with the 5.2 bios
Enermax 420 what power supply
all at stock settings

ANY help or ideas would be helpful
Thanks folks

*EDIT* Also we did run the barton OC'd at 2200 and the 9800 STILl did not break 4k like it was locked at that score or something.

its a problem with drivers im pretty sure as my 3dmark 2001 scores are right with yours but a little higher due to ram. I had a driver combo that seemed to work just fine and give me near 18k, and messed around with windows and ended up haveing to reformat before i looked at the driver combo. The only driver i do know for use was ATI's driver 6.14.10.6343 but i have been trying to find that combination again and still with no luck. I think its Nvidia Nforce 2 driver that is causing this with ATI cards when i find the right combo again ill post back.

Ok, let's see.

First, double check and make sure any quality settings you can set via the drivers are set to manual-no-enhancement, meaning No FS/AA etc.

Second thing you try is change drivers or reinstall drivers, and then reinstall DX9.

If that doesn't work, Make sure your chipset drivers are up to date. If necessary, install the newer ones if they exist. And then reinstall DX9.

Oh yeah, go into bios, and check the following:

L1/L2 cache are enabled. (does the machine take an abnormally long time to boot?)
Primary VGA is set to AGP.

There's a registry hack for Windows (2000/XP etc) where you can manually set the amount of L2 cache you have.. normally it's set to '0' which is auto-detect, but sometimes in wierd situations windows doesn't correctly detect it. I don't remember where I saw it, but I DO know that Xteq X-setup has a tweak for that. (And a bunch of other stuff, and it's free for home use.)

If all of that doesn't work, and other people have good suggestions that don't pan out, then I'm going to say the next logical step is a reinstall of your OS.

Ok the 2.03 Nvidia drivers and the ATI driver number 6.14.1.6292 seem to not conflict as bad i just got a 16890 but again im not running my barton :cry: ill post back when i find the best combo drivers with NForce 2 and ATI

Disable fast write in ATI control pannel and also in the bios and that should fix your problems with your score and with the new Cat 3.6 drivers it should work ok now.

Back