• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Floppy Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kdog154

I have a Sony Floppy Drive connected properly to the motherboard. Power cord is also plugged into the floppy. When I start the computer and have "Boot up floppy seek" checked it said Boot Fail (40). When I take that off the comp starts and the green light on the floppy stays on. I insert a floppy and it does not read it. What do you think the problem is? The floppy or motherboard connector. or what?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the data cable on the Floppy is hooked up backwards.
The light remaining on is a symptom of that.

Make sure the the striped side of the cable is on the pin 1 side of the floppy connector.

The cable connector on the drive should have 34 sets of pins. All have specific numbers but they are usually not marked.

Sometimes there is a number printed on the drives circuit board that identifies pin #1. When you hook up the data cable to the drive, there should be identifying marks (usually a stripe) on the side of the cable that shows you which side of the cable lines up with pin 1.

The same marking should be on your motherboard also (the number 1 for the pin)

Just remove the cable from the drive and flip it over and reconnect it.

That should fix your problem:)

Had this happen a zillion times. I agree with Maximouse, the cable is plugged in wrong. Try it plugging it in every which way you can, until it works. If it still fails after trying every combination, try a different cable. If that fails, then it is the drive.

Good luck!

Yep Maximouse, was right. I flipped the data cable and it worked fine. Thanks for all the help and fast replies.

Back