• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wc advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ferg

I think im finally going to make the big step into water cooling in about a month. Here is the system I think i will go with:

Maze4
Hydor L20
Dtek heatercore and shroud

But I have a few other questions:

1) Should I go with the T-Line or resevior?
2) Should I pay the extra for the L30 instead the L20, and dont tell me to buy Ehiem because im on a budget and I dont think Ehiem is worth the cost over Hydor.
3) Is there any advantage to one type of fitting over another? ie: chrome vs. polypro vs. brass
4) I was thinking of going with 3/8" ID tube because it would be a tighter fit on the fittings and would be less likely to leak, but would that signifigantly hurt performance compared to 1/2" ID tube?

also I know everyone is going to tell me to buy a chevette heatercore and make my own shroud, but after the cost of the material I think I would rather buy it from Dtek. Also I know everyone will tell me to get a Cascade or Whitewater, but i plan on upgrading to a new platform in about 6 months and those blocks probably wont be compatible with the newer sockets so ill buy a nicer block when i do that.

1) T-line, it's simple and effective.
2) If you don't mind the price difference, I'd choose the L30.
3) Not really, but I like a brass/copper system.
4) It may hurt performance a little bit, but not immensely. Using 1/2" ID tubing and a bigger pump vs 3/8" tubing and a smaller pump may make a noticable performance difference.

1) T-line, it's simple, effective and may provide a slight performance advantage

2) L30: flow rate.
3) brass/copper or plasticc. Dissimilar metals are not a good thing to have any more of than absolutely neccessary. Plastics are neutral.
4) In my experience:
A smaller pump with 1/2" tubing will perform very similiarly to a larger pump with 3/8" tubing. If anything, go with the L20 and 1/2"- less money and about the same performance as the L30 will probably get you with 3/8".
(I ran comaparison test with both sizes of tube and Eheim 1048 and 1250 pumps.)

Might as well go with the best performance possible if you ask me.
Besides- after getting the 1/2" tube on the fittings and using steel worm-drive hose clamps the tubing will be tight either way. :)

After reading a post in another forum that had 2 different people getting signifigantly worse results with a maze4 than a maze3 i think im going to get a different block. Probably a maze3 or a Dtek TC-4.

Back