• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

would it be ok to use 1900 stock on 2400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Venturanova1

Registered
ok well im upgrading my 1900+ and i have the stock heatsink and fan, and i want to upgrade to 2400+ would i be able to use the stock stuff that i got with the 1900 on the 2400, ive noticed that alot of the newer amd fans have 3000 rpm stock fans not sure about heatsinks. The one for my 1900 runs at about 4800 rpm i jsut want to make sure if it would be fine

First, let it be known that it's worthwhile to get the 2500+, with the barton core, over the 2400+. Secondly, I'm not sure that HSF will be adequate, but I'd just pay the extra $7 or so and get the retail 2400 to be sure if you're going to get that.

the thing is that im on a tight budget and well the last cpu my motherboard will support is the 2400 because of the fsb

Oh. Well in that case I don't know. My guess is it'll probably work but it'll run a bit warm.

BUMP for a true answer

hmm if it does work, your'e temps would be a bit high probably, might not be the safest over the long run, it would probably work OK tho, i would think, it's a gamble. If it doesn't work you will just have to manually set the cpu to lower. Maybe you could have someone buy your'e old 1900+(a friend?) that way you can get a 2500+ retail barton from newegg and have enuff money for it.

stay with the 2400+ i bought the 2500barton and hated it its under 2ghz where the 2400+ is 2 ghz and i cant stand overclocking u dont notice a performance difference @ all and if u go to seel your comp someone is not gonna want a comp that has been o/c it kills the life of the cpu

thanks ill stick with the 2400 and give the stock 1900 heatsink and fan a try ill run it for a couple of mins and see if the temperature gets too high, if it doesnt go above 60 ill keep the stock stuff if it does and have to buy new heatsink and fan.

Venturanova1

Well, if your budget is tight, you could at least do what can be done. You could lap this stock heatsink, check for a good thermal compound, check for good airflow in the case... Also, try to run your new CPU for a while with an open case cover - it's the safer way to test things out.

countermods
and i cant stand overclocking
Man, these are OCforums! OC means OverClock! What are you talking about?
u dont notice a performance difference @ all
Oh yeah. Never noticed a difference between 1467 MHz and 2200? I did.

countermods said:
stay with the 2400+ i bought the 2500barton and hated it its under 2ghz where the 2400+ is 2 ghz and i cant stand overclocking u dont notice a performance difference @ all and if u go to seel your comp someone is not gonna want a comp that has been o/c it kills the life of the cpu

misinformation overload!

Back