• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3 before or after adhesive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dcesther

I want to attach a heatsink onto my NF7-S southbridge, so I went to Frys and bought a AS3 and AS Adhesive. So which do I put first? And anyone know where i can find useful info on the adhesive? The one on www.articsilver.com does not help at all.

thank you

According to these, when you use the adhesive, you don't use the AS3. I don't think you're supposed to combine them, I mean think about it, if you do then the adhesive will be weakened.

The adhesive is basically the same thing, only it glues. You only need to apply the adhesive. Some people mix in alittle AS3 since it has better heat trasfer properties, but do not add to much since it hurts the adhesive's ability to hold. But really you only need to use the adhesive.

You mix the parts of the adhesive together, and while it's still liquid, add about 40-50% AS3. Then spread it on the surfaces to be glued, and attach the two surfaces together.

This gives you a bond that can be broken in the future.

If you never intend to separate the two parts, just use the adhesive.

Dcesther – If your Northbridge heatsink has an attaching mechanism, you can use a thermal compound like Arctic Silver 3. If there is no attaching mechanism, then you need a thermal adhesive. Should this be the case and you use Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive, we do not recommend mixing it with Arctic Silver 3. Mixing the adhesive with Arctic Silver 3 may weaken the bond. Due to variables in surfaces, preparation (cleaning the surfaces to be bonded), clamping pressure during the cure, cure time, etc., we cannot guarantee the bond strength or performance of our thermal adhesives when mixed with our thermal compounds.

Colin Thompson
Arctic Silver, Inc.

I got it, just done attaching the heatsink onto the south bridge, so far so good, i didnt use AS3 on it.

i wouldn't suggest trying to remove the heatsink until you have a replacement system running...

sometimes Arctic Silver Epoxy can be removed with the freeze and pry method... but if you followed all the instructions in applying it, then you'll likely remove the northbridge along with the heatsink :D

Yes, it is, but you take a risk of prying off the south birdge with it.

I found it easier to heat up the heatsink and AA with a really hot blow dryer and it becomes slimy. You could try that and slide or pry it off.

I wouldn't be comfortable doing it myself, but I have seen the freeze and pry method work. It seems that the hairdryer method would work as well.

Back