• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cathar, can i lap a cascade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

Cathar, can i lap a cascade?

i know cause the base is thin and it comes prelapped, but say if after a while it gets tarnished or something,... can i lap the thing?

and also, is it possible to get one for a socket 940? like could you make a "unversal" mounting plate instead of diferent tops for everything... e.g. like what asetek waterchill has....

thanks....

Of course you can lap it. The warning in the manual is just so people don't go nuts with 80-grit sandpaper or something.

If you want to remove tarnish, I recommend one of those green pot scourers. Works wonders and is about the same as 600-grit sandpaper. Put the scourer on a table and stick the block on it and lap the block. It'll remove any tarnish quickly.

If you want to relap it with some sandpaper, then just use 600-grit and do about 10 laps and that'll clean it up.

As for a "universal mounting plate", I'll assume that you aren't aware that people have had to cut up their Asetek blocks to get it to fit onto various AMD motherboards (Abit, Epox)?

No such thing as a unversal mounting plate that won't interfere with one board or another across AMD and Intel solutions, hence why the plates are separate.

Sure you could, but its the matter of 'should' you? Tarnishing wont matter at all. doesnt really make a difference, you wont see it anyway(unless you somehow get a clear motherboard and processor;)

Jon

Back