• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to mount a p4 white water?!?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mmcshmi11

I got screwed by cooltechnica.com, again, and they didn't give me the right instructions on how to mount the block on a p4, they gave me the AMD version. Maybe it ends up being the same and they did it on purpose, but I have never mounted a water block before and have no idea how it goes.

I screwed the mounting plate onto the board with the 4 little screws that were taped onto it. Then i stuck the screws in the plate from the bottom and put one of those white looking washer between the plate and white water. I then put the block on that, then a washer>spring>washer>gold bolt. I tightened them to however tight i thought it should be i guess. Ended up being something like 20 half spins about from when the bolt first touched the spring.

Can someone tell me how they mounted theirs on a p4 system?

I am actually using it right now, and temps are good (look in my sig :D, pretty good for a hot room without adding the water wetter yet). I just want to make sure this won't end up falling off or having some other mishap.

Hehe same thing happened to me. After reading the instructions 20 times I think I figured it out.

First on the p4 adapter it has 8 nuts (2 on each screw).

I took one nut off each, and put those to the side.

It has 4 long screws that comes with it, take those and put those through the p4 mounting adapter so the threads of the screw are facing up. Use the 4 mini nuts that were taped on the adapter to hold the screws to the adapter. Now put the plate on the motherboard so the 4 screws with the black nylon nuts go into the holes on the motherboard. Now take those 4 nuts I told you to put to the side to secure the mounting plate to the motherboard. It should go from top down mounting plate --> black nylon nut --> motherboard --> black nylon nut

Now put the waterblock over the 4 long screws, then put on a black plastic washer on the 4 screws. Then put a spring on each screw, then add another black plastic washer over the spring. Then use a brass nut on each screw and tighten in an alternating manner to ensure it has equal pressure.

Sorry if I made any mistakes I'm in a rush.

Thankx for the help, I'll probably go back and fix it to how you had it to make sure nothing goes wrong. I did use those mini screws however to hold the mounting plate onto the mobo, I hope it holds for now..... lol thank you again though.

The mini screws are to hold down the 4 screws, if you use other nuts to hold the screws the white water will hit the screws and there will be a gap between the base of the block and the cpu.

I put the mini screws on the smaller screws which hold the mounting plate onto the mobo. I put a washer between the waterblock and the mounting plate. I guess the amount of pressure put on the cpu is determined by how tight i tightened the mini screws on the back side of the motherboard because I didn't put any of those black screws on.

Was i supposed to put a washer between the block and plate? and was i supposed to put those black screws on somewhere??

OK after reading those instructions, I guess i mounted it wrong....but my temps are good and nothing seems wrong.

Should I change it so i have one black nylong washer between the mounting plate and mobo and then one on the back securing it in?

You shouldn't have any washers between the mobo, and you can't secure anything with washers.

Washers are just the plastic things with holes in it, they have no threads. Only use the washers to go on top of your block before the springs to protect the top of your block from scratches.

er, well i didn't mean black washer, it does come with black plastic screws right? Should i use those i meant?

Lol it doesn't come with black plastic screws.

I think you are confusing screws, nuts, and washers.

The p4 adapter comes with 8 nylon nuts (2 on each hex screw), and 4 very small nuts taped to it. Remove 4 of the black nylon nuts from the adapter (one off each hex screw).

Feed the 4 long screws through the bottom of the adapter, and use one tiny washer per long screw. Now put the p4 adapter down on the motherboard mounting holes, and use the 4 nylon nuts I told you to remove to secure the 4 hex screws to the motherboard. Next add the dtek ww placing it over the 4 long screws. Then add a washer over each long screw. Then add a spring, then use the brass thumbscrews to hold down the ww block.

No problem.

Yeah it would have been helpful if dtek or cooltehnica added a schematic or something of how it went together.

Can you guys post pics of the proper setup and maybe a couple of pics showing beginning to completion. It would be a great help :)

I am about to make a thread showing my first water cooling. It has pics of settings everything up.

Back