• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much better is the maze4 than maze3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so i'm getting from the above link that the maze 4 is about maybe 3 degrees better than a maze3 with a "normal" eheim 1048 right?

so that'd put it about maybe 2 celcius behind the whitewater? no? or is that still wrong?

no the above link shows that the Maze4 is about 2 degrees worse than the maze3. Here is the results of one of the users:

Maze 3

1- Idle = 27C, Load = 35C
2- Idle = 27C, Load = 34C
3- Idle = 26C, Load = 34C

Maze 4

1- Idle = 29C, Load = 39C
2- Idle = 27C, Load = 38C
3- Idle = 27C, Load = 39C

there was another user in that thread who reported that the maze3 was about 3 degrees better

from everything that I have read, the maze4 has been a couple of degrees cooler than the maze3. Why else would they produce another block? My temps with the Maze4 are 25*C idle/30*C load with ambient being 24*C. Of course having a giant radiator and two 120mm fans on it doesn't help but....

DangerDen's site links to a few different comparisons between the two...one of them saw an average of 6c lower temps on the MAZE4

telexen said:
DangerDen's site links to a few different comparisons between the two...one of them saw an average of 6c lower temps on the MAZE4
Ha, that 'test' (really was a joke) where the Maze 3 was 6C worse than the Maze 4 was funny. The guy who did the test hooked the Maze 3 up backwards so the water went in the side and out the center :rolleyes:

Blbrchnk said:
from everything that I have read, the maze4 has been a couple of degrees cooler than the maze3. Why else would they produce another block?

the maze4 was produced to be a cheap block that would make danger den a lot of money per block. It takes far less material to make a maze4 than a maze3. The design is terribly flow restrictive and does not even let most of the water flow directly over the core where it is needed. Hopefully the next DD block will be much better than the maze4.

ferg, your mostly correct, but it is not restrictive! not much restriction at all for how its all placed. and yes, the block is soo easily produced! The channel width is kinda odd though. 1.05" probably 3mm or something. All it takes to produce that block is 2 passes on the top, side, plunge all the holes with the end mill, and mill around it with the same end mill, no tool changes. to mill out the pocket below the barbs, there again, no tool changes. The only time where there is tool changes is on the bottom. They flip it over, mill around it again, change to the fly cutter or other large face cutter, run a pass on that, and change and cut the recess for the socket.

In the maze 3, It takes 2 cutters to cut the channels, The one that is used to make the design in the bottom one would be used to cut the O-ring groove, and then you gotta put a 1/8 or al ittle smaller drill bit in to drill the tapped holes, then drill the mounting holes with 3/16, then flip over and mill the base. this is all after the material is sized. With the maze4, you only have to zero 2 of the 3 axises, and make the other close.

it would take probably 2 passes to make the main channels in the maze3, and one to cut the design. The toolchange probably takes as long as to cut the design if its manual.

I really expected much better from them. The majority of the flow is around the core, not over it. I have a waterblock to make now, see if a simple similar design will outperform it, and how by how much.

Jon

Back