• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

major heat problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CVW

Registered
ok i bought an slk-800 A (the one with the 3 prongs) and used it to replace a ****ty volcano 9 that i got for free. for some reason i had no thermal compound + volcano 9 before and now i have slk 800 with as3 and im getting slightly lower temps but my load temps are waY WAY HIGHER. i was getting around 50 for load and now i just started playing a game and it went to around 56. how is this possible. i think i may have put too much thermal compound on but not sure. EDIT*** my idle temps were 41 b4 and now they are 36-38 so not that big of a difference.

Last edited:
if you put too much thermal compound, that could very easily be the problem... it should be a very very very thin layer

ok i just wiped all the as3 off and put a bit on and thining it out with a credit card and just for a note b4 this my bios was saying 78 celcius!!!! now its down to 60 or so but wtf with a volcano 9 i had this down to 40-50 this is pathetic

are you sure its secured correctly? if its not hitting your chip on maximum surface area it will definatly get hot. make sure you have alot of pressure on that thing holding it down. also try lapping the bottom of the heatsink to ensure its making good flat contact area and a good smooth surface.

ive done everything except lapping the heatsink but it jsut baffles me how im running a 2400 XP and a slk 800 is outperformed by a volcano 9 WITHOUT ANY COMPOUND this is rediculous should i just not use any compound at all?

What board ar eyou using? Are you sure your temp sensor is reporting correctly? My MB once told me the processor was at 200C. You may want to check and make sure that your bios is the newest version available. Otherwise, all I can offer is that you should keep trying until you get a perfect mount. You should have a thinner-than-paper coating of AS3 on your die to go along with your seamless mount. Also, what fan are you using? If you are using a crappy fan on your 800, the volcano would likely outperform it.

he said he updated the bios, my money is on too thick compound application

yes ive got bios updated fully i have a TT smart case fan II so its a pretty good fan i tried applying the thermal compound reallly really thin and its not too much better hopefully i can fix this somehow but thank you for suggesting stuff i might try applying 1 last time the thinnest layer i can imagine then f that doesn't work take it to a person i know that will hopefully be able to fix it;/

SLK-800A is a much better sink than the volcano9, so something is wrong. I would bet money that it is with the mounting or with your fan.

I know this is basic stuff, but we have all done stuff like this so don't be offended:
1) Is your fan blowing the right way?
2) Have you taken a little light and looked under the HS itself to see if you can detect it making poor contact?
3) Did you apply a truly thin layer of as3? It needs to be so thin as to be translucent. Although I have to tell you that even with a big 'ol honkin' layer of as3 on there your temps should be better than that.
4) Do you have a sufficiently powerful fan?
5) Did you make any changes that could be affecting your total volume of case air-flow or interrupting your air-flow patterns since you changed sinks?

Reseat a few more time to ensure god contact. That should become your standard practice when applying a new HSF.

There is no way that some minor surface irregularities can acount for that type of temperature variance unless there are some really serious surface imperfections like obvious and deep gouges or visible concavity or convexity.

If you updated the BIOS, sometimes this can result in HUGE temp reporting differences due to manufacturers "recalibrating" the temp monitoring equipment. Try with your old BIOS for reference.

Shrug... just reread the thread a few times and still don't see where he said that he updated his BIOS =p. Maybe I'm stupid though =/.

Regardless... I agree with you. Higher load temps would tend to point towards a chunky layer of AS3.

would i be better off with no thermal compound at all ? im pretty sure i set it right and its been i think 3 or 4 times ive set it but i will check again jsut to make sure also how do i get a truly accurate reading? are there any programs taht are useful i was using fuzzy logic and on there my readings were lower than with the old HS but in my bios its like a 10d degree celcius difference. and loading temps are disgusting for both fuzzy logic and bios

vonkaar said:
Shrug... just reread the thread a few times and still don't see where he said that he updated his BIOS =p. Maybe I'm stupid though =/.

Regardless... I agree with you. Higher load temps would tend to point towards a chunky layer of AS3.

wow, no im stupid, it was in another thread about nearly the same topic i just read... forgive me......:(

There is no way that some minor surface irregularities can acount for that type of temperature variance unless there are some really serious surface imperfections like obvious and deep gouges or visible concavity or convexity.

actually, there seem to be two major manufacturers of the heatsink... one makes them pretty good, nearly flat, and the other comes with deep machine ridges that you can see. If he got one of those, that could very easily be a problem

Back