• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

more voltage for my NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

My NF7-S REV2.0 will do 229mhz out of the box. Now I'm going to get some new memory sometime soon, so if my memory can go over 229mhz stable then I would like to vmod my board so I can put more voltage to the chipset. I read on how to do it w/ a pencil trace. But is there a better way to do it? I would like to be able to get at least 2.0V to the board.

I've been looking for the pencil mod ! Can you point me to it ? Did the L12 mod and can do 239 fsb. I need the vmods for the memory and chipset to see just how far I can take this combination. I think my buffalo memory has some room left because it's doing this speed at 11-3-2-2.0 in dual channel.

I got the pencil mod from 8rdafaq.com (which I guess just links to the site thorilan posted). Anyways, what is the L12 mod? I'll do some googling. But post any thoughts you have about it.

Changing the default bus speed for any 266fsb chip from 133 to 166 increases the OC for rev 2 motherboards. You need to connect the 3rd contact on the L12 bridge.

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214364

Hey Guys ,
Thanks for the links for the mods !
I linked the thread on the L12 mod. This can also be done using a thin wire in the cpu socket . Many are using this method also to change the default from 266 to 333. No one can really explain why this is creating more headroom but it works ! Out the box I could hit around 227 ( with added chipset cooling) but with the mod 239 -240 ! I gotta dig out my multimeter and get my chipset to 1.8v and the memory to 3.0v.
I'd suggest changing the north & southbridge cooling as they get pretty hot running these high speeds, and will climb even more when you start adding voltage. The Tt Tiger 1 coolers with 40mm sunon fans were the perfect solution for me. The heatsink is 40mm square and around 2 inches tall. I left the stock fan on the one I installed on the southbridge and put the sunon fan on the northbridge. Barely warm to the touch after 30 min of Medal of Honor. I was amazed how flimsy the stock abit nb cooler was ! Felt like the bottom of a beer can with a fan attatched.

I think I'm going to put an old speeze heatsink on my NB (will have to find a quieter 60?mm fan though). As for my SB I'm not sure if the passive zalman HS will be good enough. I really won't know how high I'm going to push the vdd and mhz until I get my new RAM and see what they can do.

Will the L12 mod work w/ a tbird? It's a 133 core but the link just had bartons and tbreds.

DeathONator said:
I think I'm going to put an old speeze heatsink on my NB (will have to find a quieter 60?mm fan though). As for my SB I'm not sure if the passive zalman HS will be good enough. I really won't know how high I'm going to push the vdd and mhz until I get my new RAM and see what they can do.

Will the L12 mod work w/ a tbird? It's a 133 core but the link just had bartons and tbreds.

I would first see if you can attain a high fsb with your cpu. If you top out before 220 then try the mod.

A passive heatsink on the SB will work fine as long as you have good case cooling. HERE is a thread with pics of what a few of us are using for NB & SB cooling.

Dont' know if the L12 mod will work on a t-bird ? Can't find where anybody has tried, so your the man to report on it :)

I saw that picture of the NB cooling. should work great but a bit of an overkill. You couldn't point to an overheating NB as the source of a low FSB, so go for it if you already have the heatsink and can attatch it.

I still can't quite understand how this L12 trick works. I understand the putting the wire in the socket (I had to do this to get my 2100+ "B" to run on my older Iwill XP333-R, else default to 100FSB x 20 :rolleyes: ). I just don't understand how it "adds headroom". If the chip and/or DDR is at it's limit, how can changing the "default" speed increase the maximum overclock?

For example, my 2100+ "B" is currently running at 11 x 200. (2200MHz). When it was on the Iwill XP333-R, I had weaker DDR, and ran it at 12.5 x 180. While "faster" than 11 x 200, CPU speed-wise, I make up for it with the faster bus speed/bandwidth at 11 x 200.

I dropped the multi down (on the NF7-S...I got the board before the PC3200) on my current combo to 9x, and the system wouldn't budge past 208, even with 2.9v to the RAM.

Ok...I guess the real crux of the question I have is...changing the "default" FSB of the CPU to 166 (333)...how the heck does this effect how much further the DDR will go?? It should still max out at 208ish, which is over the changed speed of 166/333.

It's a bugger to get my waterblock off in the main rig, so it's a bit more involved for me than those running air. If I knew...I was "guarranteed" a higher overall FSB after dropping a hunk of wire in the CPU socket, I'd go thru the trouble..... I just can't understand the logic of how it works.....

There's another thread in this topic on the subject, and I asked the same questions there... Some report improvement, some report instability..... That's why I'm hesitant to do this (plus the involved process of pulling the waterblock).

B.

its probly because when you change the clocks using the circutry on the motherboard the signal travels farther has more degredation and chances to pick up noise where directly on the proc would reduce that making it more stable and able to hold its clock more true

just my guess

Back