• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting a Tornado to a fan controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7h3r4py

(I didn't know if I could display the image here what with copyright stuff so here is the link)

http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/vantec/tornado/tornado6.jpg

If that is the connectors the Tornado comes with how do I connect it to a fan controller so I can adjust it's speed?

I know the single cable with the 3-pin connector is for RPM monitoring and I know the 4-pin cable is for power. I am assuming that the power cables need to be connected to the fan controller to be able to adjust the voltage which in turn adjusts the fan speed. The thing is the fan controller only allows you to connect 3-pin cables.

I was thinking I would put the single cable thats on the 3-pin connector back into the 4-pin connector since there is a spare pin and I am guessing that is where it came from. Then I will use a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter to connect it to the fan controller.

Will this work? Or is there an easier and better way to do it?

On second thoughts the 4-pin connector looks like it might have 4 cables running to it as it seems to have 4-pins but the top pin looks different...

OK, I am confused!

You just need to get a 4 to 3pin adapter, you will still be able to monitor the speed through the yellow wire hooked up to your mobo.

EDIT: To try and put it more clearly, you get the 4 to 3pin connect it to the fan, then connect the 3pin to the fan controller, that extra yellow wire from the fan connects to the mobo.

Last edited:
or you fan control may come with molex plugs already (the 4 pins shown in pic) and you just plug it straight in, if not you do what schismspeak said

Sorry, I didn't make myself completely clear. The fan controller I am using has a display that shows fan RPM so I want to be able to use that instead of reading through the motherboard.

Okay, then take a 4-to-3-pin adapter an stuff the yellow wire of your Tornado into the third (spare) hole of the 3-pin end. Then plug it into the fan controller.

Back