• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tried to put a MCW50 on 5900 Ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WildCard

Registered
I used Artic SIlver adhesive to hold the MCW50 wb to the gpu of the MSI 5900 Ultra, and guess what? Somewhere along the way, I must have fried the vid card somehow. I get a ton of artifacts on the screen. I did use the video card several times before modding it and it ran flawlessly. Ah man, I am so ****ed. $500 down the drain. Later on, I purchased a BFG 5900 Ultra and installed it in my computer w/o modding it. I even have 2 rads in series to prepare for cooling the cpu and gpu down. Now it is all to waste. Such is life, eh?

no man, its not fried... if it still turns on its ok....

look, you need ramsinks on the card... not just some ghetto "tweakmonster bga's" but i mean like dedicated ram cooling... serious... like cut up copper skived heatsinks or something...

once you get the ram cooling it'll be fine.....

yeah, did you take off the entire heatsink? You do need ramsinks, and activly cool the ram too, get some decent airflow around and thru the ramsinks.

Jon

And it sounds like you connected a bridge with some arctic silver. I suggest NEVER EVER using conductive adhesives or paste on your vid card because its so much of a risk for so little.

I put some ram sinks on my Ti4200 a while ago, and it started artifacting like crazy. I got some white spirit and gave the legs on the ram chips a good cleaning with some q-tips, and thank christ it's all back to normal now.

Back