• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling in a dif way

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

countermods

Disabled
ok was wondering instead of putting my whole comp in the freezer could i run a simp;e water cooling in my comp but have the pipes go in my freezer to cool the water but could i use peroxide or some vodka neither one freezes instead of water

You could do that, it's been done before with water I know. Unless you've got a really cold freezer, I don't think you'd have to worry much about warm, moving water freezing.

so you mean lie pipes and then waterblocks or do you mean the cold from the pipes will radiate out form the pipes and cool the system? and if you mean the latter then make sure there copper pipes they carry cold as well as heat.

LOL vodka :clap: It does sound like a great idea. If you were to use vodka, use Everclear (95% al. by volume). That or I'm sure you can purchase pure alcohol...

*Sorry, I don't know a thing about water-cooling. Not sure if you put the water in the resovoir or something else.

i can see it now....

As Timmy arrived home in a drunken mess, he staggers towards the room in where lies his pc. As his brain cells were omitting their death rattles, Timmy says to himself, "vaoudka wood werk well beter for a watter :hickup: couling". As Timmy lifts the bottle of everclear to put it in the resovoir*, never realising he left the computer open and running, one of the dieing brain cells sends a signal to the arm with his bottle of vodka, causing it to twitch. Timmy incoherantlly splashed his motherboard, in which it sparked, igniting the alcohol, then his cpu, then him, then his house.

The End.

ok i wanna usa a regular water cooling setup up but after the raditor before the tube hits the water block i wann make it goe thru the freezer the freezer is @ -20 to -35c @ all times it is used to store stuff for my dad dunkin donut shops

Periods, my friend. Periods. Use them.

What you will be making, correct me if I am wrong, is a really big water chiller. People have done this before, so you shouldn't have a problem.

If you really want to use a freezer to cool your computer, it makes no sense to have the fluid travel through a radiator outside of the freezer. All radiators do is bring liquid closer to ambient- if the liquid is below ambient, a radiator will heat it up. If, however, you put the radiator inside the freezer, it could be very effective. I'm wondering how you plan to seal the freezer with tubes running in and out of it though.

Why use a radiator at all when you can just have your resevoir in the freezer? The freezer should cool the water enough to where you will not need a radiator and not having the radiator should greatly reduce the flow restriction in your set up. Remember the radiators job is to cool the water, but isn't that why you want to use the freezer?;)

The radiator will get it closer to ambient temperatures, just like snokamel said, and when the said radiator is inside of a freezer, it will get the water temperature colder than just using a reservoir inside the freezer.

Besides that, if there is an area of the reservoir that does not get a lot of flow, it could start freezing the water, and this would be bad because it would make the water thicker, thus taxing your pump and slowing it down. If you used a radiator, there are no spots in which there is no water movement and so the water won't be in long enough to freeze yet it gets real cold, heh.

Antifreeze will work better in the mixture than alcohol I belive.

I too would think you'd want to use water+anti-freeze over vodka since water's specific heat is much higher and it can therefore carry much more heat away from the proc.

You will probably need to insulate your socket/water block because you'll be cooling them to sub-ambient temps as well.

toyotanova, that is no way to get your post count up.

Countermods, i think it is a great idea, and like said just mix some antiferez in the water and it should work great.:D

aka665 said:
won't that create condensation on the waterblock??? Unless you use foam or something to get rid of it

Yes it woudl create condensation if the temperature was sub-ambient, thats why you need to make an air-tight environment(I think that would solve the problem...lol) and if you have the foam that came w/ur mobo that stuff works good too.

Lord_MiL said:
I too would think you'd want to use water+anti-freeze over vodka since water's specific heat is much higher and it can therefore carry much more heat away from the proc.

You will probably need to insulate your socket/water block because you'll be cooling them to sub-ambient temps as well.

The specific heat doesn't apply in the situation you mentioned. Thermal conductivity is more important, and pure water has the highest thermal conductivity.

schismspeak said:
toyotanova, that is no way to get your post count up.

Easy for you to say,you talk too much.At the rate things are going,I won't be able to post in my favorite discussion till 2007. :mad: Next you'll be required to have blond hair and blue eyes to post.

Back