• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-7VA multi mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

threeputt

Hi everyone:)

I've been reading the forum for some time and decided to start looking into overclocking. But I have the GA-7VA, which won't let me change the CPU multi. But I have read in this forum that someone has done a mod to allow 7VA to change the CPU multi. Does anyone have any info on this? I wish I can get a diff mobo, but it's not an option right now. Thanks.

BTW, this forum is great. I've done some of the "cheap" mods to help lower the CPU temp, lapping, AS3, ducting, etc... and lowed my CPU temp about 10*C (according to Easy Tune anyway). Trying to start seriously, but mobo is the first huddle it seems...

Threeputt

Not too familiar with the GA-7VA, but I had an idea it already had the multi switches onboard, in which case it's your CPU that needs modding, to unlock the multipliers.

Road Warrior

edit: okay, maybe I'm wrong, apparently doesn't have the switches, but if it has the same PCB as the VAX and VAXP you should just need to solder a "mouse piano" (switch block) to the empty pads that are above the CPU socket. But your CPU could still need unlocking before it will work.

Forgot to mention that I have the Barton 2500...which is already unlocked...

Could someone give me a little details on the multi switch on VAX/VAXP? Maybe a close up pic also?

Thanks

Thanks! Seems a lot easier than trying to put a DIP sw on a mobo:)

BTW, how high were you able to push the PCI bus before corruption starts, and will Prime95 catch any errors on PCI/AGP bus as well?? Since I can't lock PCI/AGP :(, I just want to know when I need to start worrying...

Thanks a bunch

Threeputt

I have similar system but have seen people get 2.2 or 2.3 out of their barton did they wire trick their cpu, but still what about those pci/agp?
I'm maxed as far as i know?

I actually have my multi at 13 w/ the wire method. And 171 Mhz FSB = 2223 Mhz for my CPU. And this only puts the PCI at 34 Mhz well below the risky range. I heard 38 Mhz to be the upper limit for PCI. Before I started the wire trick, I had corruptions at 201 Mhz FSB, which made me reinstall Windows. I'll eventually push my FSB higher, but with my multi at 13, I should be safe for a while.

Yeah... It was cool to see Windows load up at 201 Mhz FSB. It actually ran for a while, but when I tried to reboot, it gave me all kinds of Windows error messages and after I shut it down manually, I couldn't boot it back up to Windows. It gave me the BSOD!!! Doh. That's when I realized I need to look for the multi mod... I got the FSB to 172 now. Still at 13 multi. Still stock volts and HSF. Only 1 Mhz FSB increase at a time, since I'm close to the limit on stock volts. Your link is letting me do all this. Thanks again 7keys...

yup. Stock voltage. I have the Barton 2500 AQXEA. Didn't write down the rest of the stepping info thou...

Ran 173 MHz and got error after 6 hours of Prime95. :( I guess it's time for voltage increase and shop for a HSF.:)

What is stock voltage for the Barton?

I have a 1700+ that will run at 2260 Mhz at 1.5 volts. although it does get too hot for my old WBK 38 which has a TT fan on it running at low speed. I hate the 6000RPM fans.

Right now I am running it at 2000 Mhz, when I put a case fan on my computer will not boot. I need a new power supply but have not decided how powerful a power supply to get. I’m thinking of putting together a dual overclocked 1700+ system in which case I would need at least a 500watt power supply for this possible future upgrade. But then again if I don’t go dual a 500watt power supply would be overkill.

Decisions decisions

Back