• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

saw a western digital 200 gig for 120 after rebate, question withmy board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unreal

Registered
i know my m/b cant see past 137, but if i get this drive can i still use 137 with my kt7a rev1.1? and just format it as such till i get a better m/b?

Instead of just tossing it in and getting 137, why not set up two 100GB partitions (or whatever suits you) with FDISK?

cause the bios wont see it then.. as a full drive to begin with i believe...

The 2, 100Gb partitions should work fine. The 137 limit is within Windows itself I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

What I really want to know is WHERE???

unreal said:
cause the bios wont see it then.. as a full drive to begin with i believe...

The drive should come with a floppy and/or a cd rom disk, that *should* have a utility on it that will "fool" Windows into seeing the entire drive.

Using FDISK will allow the board to see two partitions of a "recognizable size".

Or was it the other way around??... It's been forever since I ran into this problem. I remember trying to set up a 10.2GB drive on a PC that had a 2.1 or 8.4GB limitation. Pentium or early P II rig. The largest drive I've ever owned is a 30GB Maxtor, so like I said, I haven't run into this for a long while...

It can be done. I DO know that...LOL.

I thought the 137gb limit was with the ATA100 standard itself and not windows.

An ATA133 card will most likely easily fix the problem.

Damian said:
I thought the 137gb limit was with the ATA100 standard itself and not windows.

An ATA133 card will most likely easily fix the problem.

no. above 137gb requires 48bit LBA which has to be supported by the motherboard bios and your OS. if not, then the Promise card is an option, as well as updates to the OS.

yeah its ok, i just decided to let my friend witha p4 system have it, and pay for it, and ill get one for my server when i upgrrade my m/b,, yeah ym server has an 80gig for a main bootup when the bios only sees 32gig max.. lol now thats tricking it, with win98 bootdisk, to install 2k, haha

The KT7a with the latest bios should support > 137GB on the primary and secondary IDE controllers. (The RAID channels support > 137GB too if you flash the RAID bios to 2.34.)

As for your OS, if you're using Windows 2000 or XP, you need to update to the latest service pack, then change a couple of registry settings:

For XP:

"http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];303013"

For Windows 2000:

"http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];305098"

If that still does not work, you can also try the IDE driver from VIA:

link

Cheers,
Dave

I have a 160 gig and I split it in half,no problems on my soltek board.win 98 boot disk time ;)

Back