• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF?! Worst watercooling setup ever!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaltag

I realise it isn't THE WORST ever but it's pretty bad. The setup in question is my current 1700 dlt3c machine. Up until 2 hours ago it was using an eheim 1250, swiftech 462 WB, and chevette heatercore with 90cfm fan on it. The temps were horrible at 56C+ at full load!! The system has been unstable and I decided to try my old generic coppr "gamer" fan I got at Compusa with some AS3 and 4500rpm fan and it's sitting at 50-51C!! That's almost a 6C drop over my "nice" watercooling setup. What in the world is going on here? I reapplied the AS3 on my watercooling setup 3 times in case of error but nothing changed. I am now tearing apart my WC stuff to try and find the culprit and fix a small leak on the outlet of the pump. The air heatsink is warm so I know it's working and that the fan is simply not powerful enough to get rid of the heat. I thought these thoroughbred's were supposed to run cooler? It's [email protected] with 1.75vcore.

What are your idle temperatures for the setup? Make sure there is no kinking of the tubes, so the leak was the problem?
I have the Swiftech MCW5000, and there are two ways to install it, but one is the wrong way because of how the water enters and exits the waterblock, I used to get very high temps too. So turn the Swiftech 462, it might help, and apply some AS3 and make sure it's tight.

Strange... What type of tubing are you using? Are you using distilled water? Are there kinks in the tubing? How long is the tubing? Is there a shroud on the fan? Maybe something wrong with the mounting, where a tube is pushing or pulling on one side? Do you have any buildup?

I just looked up that WB and aparently it's not too great. Doesn't even look like it has much turbulance in the WB itself(looks flat).

http://www.overclockers.com/articles688/index03.asp

I know it's not the greatest block ever but I using two of them in dual 1800 (palamino) rig and they stayed around 34C and 37C load!! now suddenly it can't handle one 1700?! This is posted from the rig in question with the setup completely cleaned and rebuilt and dedusted and now it's 65C!! What the hell is going on?!?! i've got the fan going full bore and it's blowing plenty of air through the rad whihc is warm may I add. It seems as though this proc is putting out well over 100watts of heat and it's only at 100FSB. I know the temp probe isn't off because the back of the board behind the zif socket is HOT!! The block has contact as I can push as hard as I want on the block and temps don't change. I'm using AS3 and there are no kinks and actually very few bends at all and there is no more than 3 feet of tubing all together and the tubing is 1/2 I.D. clearflex 60. This is getting me rather frustrated!!! The mobo is the MSI kt3 Ultra 2 btw.

WEIRD...

runng a 1.7GHZ @ 2.5GHZ with my dangerden water set-up

(30-35) idle
(35-43) Load 1.9V

Whats the route of the set-up? Go from pump to radiator then to waterblock. Lap the waterblock, and don't use too much grease. You are certain it is making good contact? Does the waterblock get warm or hot? How about water temp? See if the the set-up is actually dissipating heat correctly first.

maybe what you have is a T-bred A .... from the specs you've posted .... 1.8ghz @ 1.75vcore ?? mostlikely you got a T-bred A ..... if it were a T-bred B DLT3C or even DUT3C type ..... it wouldn't even break a sweat at 2ghz ........ almost all the DLT3C JIUHB procs i've handled runs 2ghz at 1.5volts w/ temps around 40C+ aircooled

Hrmm... all I can say is check to see if theres buildup in the pump/rad/wb. The pump is easy to figure out, but who knows maybe it's working but not as fast as it should. You did say there was a leak, so if the pump is bad, then that could affect temps a lot. If the rad is getting warm, is it all over, top and bottom? or just the top?

Maybe you could run some vinegar through to check for corrosion and to clean it out(It's what I read on the forums).

Your WC setup is pretty good cept the WB but should still outcool even a slk900.

Goodluck!

It could be an A, as was stated. Strange though, that you have such high temps. As they said, check for kinks and the like. Also, look into the reseating the wb. It may help, and you may notice you put in on incorrectly or something.

It is most definately a thoroughbred B unless AMD put the wrong sticker on the chip it's an axda jiuhb 1700dlt3c. It's had all night and now it's at 57C. The heatercore is slightly warmer than teh surrounding air but no more than few degrees F and the block is no warmer either. The Pump is a bit warmer but no more than 10 degrees. The setup goes pump->block->rad->pump. thanks for trying to give me some ideas guys.

edit: water temp is 88.3F (not sure about celcius conversion) Ambient temp is 75F

HI

in my rig -on the first setup- i got very high temps too...
and a wierd smell.... the mosfets are getting VERY hot and the CPU sensor is reading from the CPU area ... i placed a 80mm fan on top of them and the temp droped 10C ! prime 95 test was running.....

- check the die(s) with an out side thermometer.
- cool the mosfets

i use a 8RGA+ with a DLT3C @ 2.3GHz @1.8v @43C full

EMP watercooling

kaltag said:
I thought these thoroughbred's were supposed to run cooler? It's [email protected] with 1.75vcore.

Thourough breds run cooler for 1 reason only, they dont need as much vcore as a palomino to run at the same speed. but, since you are at a relativly high 1.75vcore it will run hotter than a palomino becuase not only is the vcore the same, but it has ALOT less surface area. the more surface area the less heat.

You need to go by the core temps. The CPU socket temps won't cut it. The water flow should go.. (PUMP -> RAD -> waterblock -> pump). This design lowered my temps, instead of going to radiator after waterblock. This way the radiator eliminates any heat the pump may transfer to the water. If the water temp is really 88F then that leads me to believe the waterblock is not seated correctly. I would imagine the water would get alot hotter. Makes sure the waterblock is LAPPED to 1500 GRIT!. Then use a thin layer of AS3 and make sure you have even pressure on the core when you install it. Proper seating and clamping pressure is a MUST for proper dissipation of heat.

the temperature measurement on hte this mobo uses the on die senso so it should be quite accurate. I may not have to worry too much here because the system won't post anymore :( will update soon with results.

the t-bred you are thinking of is the 1700+ t-bred-b jiuhb, they can be a little hard to find but you can still find them for $50

You should have posted in the watercooling forum.

It is most likely a mounting issue. Also check the inside of the block for growth buildup or galvanic corrosion, and check your heatercore for dust buildup. (mine seems to work as a filter for the whole pc)

mmm, definitely check the mounting. Make sure that when you remove the block, see if you see an imprint of AS to make sure it's actually getting so good contact with the core.

kaltag said:

edit: water temp is 88.3F (not sure about celcius conversion) Ambient temp is 75F

That's 31C for your water. You really need to check how that waterblock is mounted.

well after testing in 3 different machines i have come to the conclusion that this baby is dead. RIP 1700 :( That's my second dead proc this year :( guess I gotta go order me a new one. thanks for trying to help guys :)

Did you figure out what happened? I read the first few posts and was quite sure you mounted it wrong. Did you use thermal paste? I was getting temps of 70+ (at start) turned out only half the core was touching due to really bad mount. Luckly for me, my overheat proctection saved me.

Back