• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone install an A7N8X without reformatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1MG ^Hawk^

Registered
Is there any way to go from my Dragon KT-333 to my new Asus without a reformat. I don't want to lose evrything that I have collected over time. Surely there has to be some way to do it. I can't believe everyone has to start all over with a clean slate everytime they upgrade, do they?

Thanks,

^Hawk^

If you are running XP ro W2K...you can do a repair to the OS...you will lose all SP's and updates...but most programs will still be intact...some games wont work...but just save the config and saved game files and after reinstalling the games...put the two files back into the folders and you will have everything right back...

I did: went from POS getting me by, Biostar M7VIT to A7N8X dlx2.0 with XP Pro

the thing about having a new mobo without a reformat is that you cant get the computer to be stable long enough to replace drivers and such... so I ended up installing another copy of my OS on top of.... yes.... right over the old oneand then basically had to redo the entire registry.... in other words... it was more hassle than it was help.... and took 3 or 4 hours instead of the 1.5 it would have taken to back stuff up and reformat.

So my suggestion to you is hold off until you get stuff backed up and reformat. But if you know your way around windows registry really well, by all means go for it.

reformat is teh best way to go when you're switching diff mobos.. its quite a pain to have to figure out which of your programs are screwd up and what not.. just back up your important files and format it.. plus your computer ususally speeds up after a format..

There's a registry key you can delete BEFORE powering down with the old motherboard for the last time, and then upon first boot (with or without the new motherboard) Windows will rebuild all the motherboard level IO drivers.

I just don't remember what it is, since it always seemed like a better idea to reinstall windows.

Back