• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7-S....need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Well I set everything up and it posted the first time, changed some BIOS settings (nothing even close to stressing) and restarted....no post. cleared cmos, no post, well after messing around and swapping video cards it posts, so i'm thinkin great it fried my working softmod 9500...I set BIOS defaults to safe settings, no post on restart. I swap out video card (back in with the 9500) no post. I swap RAM (my old PC2700 which was working an hour ago, posts up goes through everything in posting, then blank screen and restarts itself, I let it go and windows comes up with the ol...windows shutdown yada yda yda i choose safe mode, before anything involving windows comes up it crashes and restarts.

So basicly windows will not load up. I've swapped out RAM, video cards (that's mainly because I have to jump through hoops to get it to post if it's powered down), tried SATA and PATA for booting into the OS, tried different hard drive with different OS and got a BSOD saying corrupted files (put it back in old computer and it's fine), after that message it would be just like the old drive saying windows didn't load..... So that's leading me to think something with either the memory controller (I doubt memory since I tried 2 sticks) or IDE controller. I've rasied Vdd to 1.7 and still the same thing, I've raised voltages on everything and left stock and same thing happens. My rails are great in PC health and I'm using a 550 antec truepower. I also tried messing with having floppy connected and disconnected, CD-rom connected and disconnected

I'm going to try a BIOS flash (not sure what revision is in there right now I didn't see anything obvious saying rev x.x) but other than that I'm spent. Anyone got any insight or experiance with this situation? I can try installing an OS from scratch....
Ideas no matter how stupid I'd love to hear.

*EDIT* complete system:
XP1700 DLT3C
1 512 buffalo PC3700 and for testing I can also use 1 512 PC2700
80gb 8mb maxtor, 60gb WD, for testing 10gb WD
lite on DVD drive
floppy
WCing
stock NB cooling
no PCI's used right now

if you want to know more just ask....

did it ever boot to windows? or did you start tweaking before you ever got there?

if thats the case then reformat and start over.

I went through tons of grief with similar situation on a rig I built for some friends. Came up the first time, posted but would never get to loading winxp. Fidlled swapped and cursed. Finally determined the bios was set to "stop boot on error" and my floppy cable was bad. So as it was going through post and couldn't find the floppy, it just quit. Switched the floppy cable and she went right along. Of course, I had fiddled and adjusted about everything possible in the bios in the meantime, bear in mind I've told this story in a few minutes, the reality covered several days, so I reflashed the bios and went on along.
Moral of the story, check everything twice before you mess with the bios.
also, it's not clear if this is a new sytem you're building and loading up from scratch, or an existing one you're modding. Are you trying to boot to an existing OS, or install from scratch?

Well I managed to get it up and running by installing the OS from scrath. I installed 2003 server cuz that's all i have laying around, the other boxes were XP....now i just gotta figure out how to get directx back running on this damned OS.

Back