• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does reinstalling CPU on NF7-S revert CPU timings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grimdeath

I just removed, re-pasted and reinstalled my Barton 2500 into my NF7-S 2.0 Bios 1.7 mobo and the system booted up as 1100 Mhz (I didn't write down the bus/multiplier it was using at that moment). When I checked the CPU setup in the Bios, it was still set to what I had as user defined before I removed it: 11 x 200.
I then selected Barton 2500 as the CPU, saved the bios, rebooted and the CPU speeds were correct for stock 2500. I then redid my user defined settings and all was well again.

Why did these setting revert just because I removed the CPU? I vaguely remember the same thing happening right out of the box for this mobo too.

PS: The reinstall dropped my idle temp by 3C.

yes that does happen. its a fail-safe, and very handy it is too.

it also happens if you replace your ram with something else, or move it to another slot.

The bios remembers your last settings, but boots at defult so you can make sure everythings working. if you just save and exit from there, it will reboot with the overclocked settings.

Imagine what would happen if you had a Barton 2500+ installed and highly overclocked and then threw a 600Tbird in there, you could easily fry it if the settings weren't reset

I just thought it's wild. I have to imagine that the CMOS battery is powering a simple circuit through some of the pins on the CPU; when the CPU is removed some register is reset so that it knows on the subsequent power-up that the CPU was removed....

Back