• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Googlegear has lost me as a customer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FunkZ

I used to do business with Googlegear, but no longer!

I have returned items previously to exchange for another item, and they had no problems with this. Now their return policy is that if you want to return any item for any reason they charge a 15% restocking fee. (other than it being defective in which case they replace it with identical item) Their online return policy states that returns for refunds will be charged the fee, however it says nothing about exchanges. I wanted to return an incompatible item and exchange for a more expensive replacement. They would not waive the restocking fee, and said that all returns are refunded, then if you wanted a different item instead you must reorder it.

Just wanted to pass the word as I’ve recommended Googlegear in the past, but if this is the way they are going to treat their loyal customers I refuse to take my future business to them.

Dear customer,

Unfortunately we are unable to waive the restocking fee or apply credit to a new order. You will need to place a new order for the correct items completely separate from your return.

Thank you,
RMA department

At 02:27 PM 7/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:

Hi,

The Return Policy states there is a 15% restocking fee for refund returns. Will I be charged this restocking fee if I am ordering a replacement for these items? Or can they be returned for an account credit which I can use to order the replacement modules? If I return these should I then complete another online order for the replacement items?

Thanks

I'm not quite following...is the item you originally ordered defective in some matter, or just incompatible with your setup?

Jon

FunkZ said:
I used to do business with Googlegear, but no longer!

I have returned items previously to exchange for another item, and they had no problems with this. Now their return policy is that if you want to return any item for any reason they charge a 15% restocking fee. (other than it being defective in which case they replace it with identical item) Their online return policy states that returns for refunds will be charged the fee, however it says nothing about exchanges. I wanted to return an incompatible item and exchange for a more expensive replacement. They would not waive the restocking fee, and said that all returns are refunded, then if you wanted a different item instead you must reorder it.

Just wanted to pass the word as I’ve recommended Googlegear in the past, but if this is the way they are going to treat their loyal customers I refuse to take my future business to them.

No flaming -nihili

Re: Re: Googlegear has lost me as a customer

himura-dono said:
no offense but that's retarded on your part. you're asking them to take back your part and eat the restocking fee so you can buy a more expensive alternative item. if it's defective, and you choose to do that, that's different. but if it's perfectly fine, and you were just a boner and ordered the wrong part, please, leave this forum. x_X

Good point.

Re: Re: Googlegear has lost me as a customer

himura-dono said:

no offense but that's retarded on your part. you're asking them to take back your part and eat the restocking fee so you can buy a more expensive alternative item. if it's defective, and you choose to do that, that's different. but if it's perfectly fine, and you were just a boner and ordered the wrong part, please, leave this forum. x_X

that was kinda what I was wondering about. so if it's just incompatible w/ his computer then it makes sense to have to pay a restocking fee. It would however be different if the item was defective.

Jon

Im pretty sure that neweggs policy is the same. Unless there is something wrong with the item your gonna pay a restock fee regardless of any future purchase.

Maybe they have you on record of doing this before. I mean, you said youve returned a item you ordered and was nothing wrong with it. The best they can do is give you what you ask for. if you dont know what you want every time why should they be the ones that have to pay. It does cost time and time = money for doing stuff like that.

Looks to me like they gave you a break the first time, not a change in policy. Thier records reflect that and are not willing to do it twice. 15% isnt so bad. considering it isnt the first time wich didnt cost you anything.

Last edited:
Pretty much all the computer shops here in Ontario have a 15% restocking fee. This however sort of makes sense in Ontario because we have a 15% sales tax, so we're just repaying the tax.

But I think computer places have inacted this restocking fee due to the fact they're getting treated more and more like buffet's. Not point the finger at you FunkZ, but there's a good many people that will buy something simply to play with it for a couple days then send it back. Not because they don't like it, but just cause they wanted to see what it did. This restocking fee is a sort of incentive to buy and keep something and not simply treat the store like a rental outfit that gives you back your money when you give back the part.

Just my 2 cents.

i don't see how saying the act of what he was doing and complaining about it cannot be referred to as a retarded act. it complies with the rules of no personal attacks as far i have understood it during my time here at oc.com. if the rules have changed, please direct me to them nihili, thank you.

Calling people "retarded" is a flame. Furthermore it's a prejudicial term. There is no real issue of mental competence here, it's just a handy word to put someone down with.

Beyond that you finished by telling him that if he just ordered the wrong part, then he should leave the forum. That is also highly innappropriate. It's not your business to tell people to leave the forum. It's rude and basically a flame.

You don't have to agree with what you think he did, but you do have to treat him with respect. You can make your point without using put downs and telling people to leave the forum.

I left the quotes in so that everyone could see what I was calling a flame. Think of it as a teaching moment.

nihili said:
Calling people "retarded" is a flame. Furthermore it's a prejudicial term. There is no real issue of mental competence here, it's just a handy word to put someone down with.

Beyond that you finished by telling him that if he just ordered the wrong part, then he should leave the forum. That is also highly innappropriate. It's not your business to tell people to leave the forum. It's rude and basically a flame.

You don't have to agree with what you think he did, but you do have to treat him with respect. You can make your point without using put downs and telling people to leave the forum.

I left the quotes in so that everyone could see what I was calling a flame. Think of it as a teaching moment.

Well spoken! hear hear! :clap:

nihili said:

I was going to say pretty much what you just said nihili but I landed up not doing it because I didn't feel it was my place to do so and plus it probably would have made me look like I was flamming him back... 2 wrongs don't make a right...

The use of the word retarded kills me......

nihili, i'm not trying to cause problems. if you'd like i could come up with a more politically correct version of what i had to say, but the last sentence would have to stay. by leave this froum i'm referring to this forum, "vendor discussion". if he's going to complain about a company for his own mistake and misunderstanding and claim it's the company's fault, i feel that it's a waste and may deter people from using googlegear because of the title, without reading the actual subject that shows his own mental competence of the situation is laughable.

for those that felt like saying something to criticize my actions: no, i would not see it as a flame, i'd see it as a community protecting itself instead of waiting until an authority here has dismissed my opinion of one's actions and joining in to say, "here, here" when you didn't have the thought to pm or disagree with my actions in this thread. or is this seen as another flame because i'm criticizing those whose lips have graced your moderator cheeks, nihili?

Would you like some cheese with that whine tmuyo-chan?

On topic, googlegear isn't wrong. Its up to you to do the research and make sure that the part you're ordering is the right one, and that its compatible with your machine. Why should the vendor eat the shipping and restocking costs because you screwed up?

Malakai said:
Would you like some cheese with that whine tmuyo-chan?

On topic, googlegear isn't wrong. Its up to you to do the research and make sure that the part you're ordering is the right one, and that its compatible with your machine. Why should the vendor eat the shipping and restocking costs because you screwed up?

rofl, all that just so you can call me chan, lol dork. *is tempted to post what you said in aim* ^_~

Well just to be vocabularily correct, calling someone retarded isn't prejudice - it's intolerant and unkind of and to mentally challenged people. Prejudice is when you make a judgement before knowing all the relevent facts.

I agree with the non-flaming thing, but I agree with the FunkZ being "confused" part as well.

If you're going to buy parts individually then you're assuming the role of a system builder who knows which parts work and which don't. If you don't know about compatabiliy or are too lazy to read up on it, then go to Dell or Gateway or the like. They know what they're doing. 15% restocking fee for open and used parts??? (plugging it in counts as used) Do they even do that? That sounds extremely generous to me. Usually vendors will only take back parts which are unused and unopen. The 15% restocking fee is to deal with the labor of dealing with you, receiving the item, re-entering it into stock and having the packers put it back in the warehouse. It's also probably padded to discourage people from deciding to take the loss and doing this all the time. Service is rarely free and rarely without profit. Remember, when you return an open item, they can't sell it as new again (or you should hope so). What are they going to do with an unpackaged CDRW with no software? They loose time and money from you doing this. Most places would laugh at you if you tried to return a used drive and said they should accept it because you're going to spend $20 more on the new one. What's that, like $5 profit for them, minus the cost of the original new drive which they have to eat? Maybe if you entered an order for a $2000 computer then most places would probably waive the restocking fee.

my $0.02 CAD

I Hate that they have to hold a money order for 10 days that really sucks and just for that i will not order from them again without a credit card

himura-dono said:
nihili, i'm not trying to cause problems. if you'd like i could come up with a more politically correct version of what i had to say, but the last sentence would have to stay. by leave this froum i'm referring to this forum, "vendor discussion". if he's going to complain about a company for his own mistake and misunderstanding and claim it's the company's fault, i feel that it's a waste and may deter people from using googlegear because of the title, without reading the actual subject that shows his own mental competence of the situation is laughable.

for those that felt like saying something to criticize my actions: no, i would not see it as a flame, i'd see it as a community protecting itself instead of waiting until an authority here has dismissed my opinion of one's actions and joining in to say, "here, here" when you didn't have the thought to pm or disagree with my actions in this thread. or is this seen as another flame because i'm criticizing those whose lips have graced your moderator cheeks, nihili?

******WARNING THIS COMMENT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT MAY OFFEND THE WEAK AND FEEBLE MINDED IF YOU ARE NOT ONE OF THESE PEOPLE THEN READ ON AHEAD AND PLEASE THIS IS NOT A FLAME AT ALL********

i actually agree with you himura-dono for the most part but you could have worded it a little differently but it did get your point across and i feel most around here wait until a Mod comes along to say something instead of standing up for the forum rules and regs. I normally dont come here unless i deal with a vender good or bad and googlegear is a good vender IMO also newegg, googlegear,directron, excaliberpc, ewdcc.com and others all have this 15% restocking fee if you return a component if its not defective or broken. There was a group on here some time ago called O.E.M that its original main purpose was to point out stuff like this but the group got out of hand and was made basically to disband. Maybe people should search for that thread and read the ideas and maybe we will stop threads from this ever happening again.

almost ALL and ANy store i have dealt with has a restocking fee and this is not something that is new to places.

as saiod above it is YOUR responsibility to do your research, it is YOUR fualt you have to pay the %15 as it was YOU who did not buy the proper item.

end of story, good fo googlegear on nailing down on people like your self who repeatedly return things for no real good reason, it is because of this %15 that they can keep prices down on other items.

Back