• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump in res=Very high temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

I did some tests to figure out why my water was so hot and found out that my Via Aqua is heating my water almost 10c. And i thought it was the temp probe. For those running submerged pumps see how hot the water is with and without the pump submerged, its very amazing

hm... I want to use my Via Aqua as a submersible as well. It specifically says... "Do Not Use Dry"

THAT much of a difference? Thought it might be only 3-5 or something

Mine is not submerged, but I did point a fan on it to cool it down.

I have been thinking about submerging it though, so the results in this thread will be helpful.

why are you all running via pumps??

there are better pumps for the money...

and you know its a via, you know those things that have no hear (only shoulders) and just randomly blow up and then feed just little pieces of impeller down your cpu block and then set ur house on fire while murdering ur family in darkest night?

or maybe its not that bad, but the things are known to run hot, which is why they NEED TO BE SUBMERGED, and are known for weird heat related failures and internal leaks.....

p.s. don't tell me that ur pump is fine... of course its gonna be fine, but, but... it just might be... one of *those* bad ones...

keep a towel handy

Danner Mag Drive's are the way to go. More head than any other pumps out there (within reason of course), even more than Eheim. 350 GPH with a 3' head turns into like 20GPH with hoses and waterblocks. Danners will muscle through all that and keep good flow no matter what.

I had a Danner 3 (350 GPH 11' head) pump up a 4' rise through 10' of tubing, two waterblocks, and a showerhead on my big as bong. All that and only 35W consumed, and not all of that is heat (some of the energy is used to move water).

--Illah

Does the extra heat from the pump add to your cpu temps though? It wouldn't matter much if your rad could kill the extra heat.

I would try to take the pump out of the res and see if the temps change much if so then leave it out. I haven't really try out a res since I move my computer a lot and just got a t line for me.

Dropped my full load 7C so its obviously putting out a lot of unnecessary heat but let me tell you it is loud unsubmerged and i had to make a new res as well because my old one had a hole in the top not the side.

This is strange. I have a Danner model 2 and a via aqua 1300. I always run my pumps submergered. When I tried the via, my temps only went up about 2 degrees.

Just my experience though.....

actually went down 8 because the res wasnt completely full and it was sucking in alot of air which accounted for the noise. Now there is more water in the res which could account for some difference but i dont know how much.

I had a Maxi-Jet 1200 submerged and it did add a bit of heat to the water. I also ran the pump inline but it was impossible to get rid of all the bubbles. Here was my solution to both problems.

DCP_1475-1.jpg

It’s basically an inline res connected directly to the pumps impeller chamber. It takes 30 seconds to fill and it adds no unnecessary heat to the system. I built the res entirely from scrap parts and a little JB weld. The plastic is .25" thick acrylic and the top is from a 2 liter.

p1.jpg

p1-3-2.jpg

a wayvet resevoir....

it costs about 9 whole american dollars where i live....

it fits perfectly with an included rubber seal on a eheim 1048... like its built for it....

dunno...

bah @ eheim

the Via will run just fine as an inline...just don't let it cavitate, MAKE SURE IT'S NOT CONSTANTLY PUMPING AIR.

Back